Worming Time Again?

OK that is great, but if I mix a whole gallon of water, can I keep that in the refrigerator for the next dose? A gallon of water for 2 birds is alot to just dump out. I will probably use 1/2 gallon for the 3 days OR I can just mix that much instead. Sorry, I just answered my question. Does this safeguard the one for the goats and cattle and does it have a long shelf life because it will last me a long time. What about the wazine I have? Should I use that as well or get rid of it? Thanks for all your help and I hope everyone had a Happy New Year.

Karen

Hi, Karen ... another option, which you might find much easier/effective, would be to simply mix the dosage w/ just enough food to be entirely consumed (ideally, divided into two doses no more than five hours apart, and provided to each independently).

Also, if you've already got the Wazine? Unless you're dealin' w/ somethin' that piperazine compounds aren't effective against, I'd consider just using it ... doses should be calculated based on mg of active piperazine/bird, and should be completely consumed by birds within a few hours because only relatively high concentrations are effective. However, if you don't use it now? You can still use it later on, and to deworm other animals (again, provided that their parasites can be treated w/ piperazine ~'-)

Karen it isn't a good idea to alter the dosages or the delivery method. I don't recommend it. You'll need to mix it every day and put a gallon of fresh water in each morning. It's a pain, but it's the right way to do it. I asked about being able to save the mix, and was told "No", so I'm going with what the more experienced people told me. I don't know if putting 1.5 cc's in 1/2 a gallon of water will be a large enough dose. Under-dosing can cause the worms to become immune to the medication. I don't know if cutting a worming dose in half is like halving a recipe. Ask a veterinarian.

I can only recommend what I've done myself, and what I've been told by the pros. Any deviation would be something I can't recommend.

Wazine is for one worm only - it is not "broad spectrum", so it's worthless unless you're targeting one specific worm. I don't know which worm it kills - - sorry. I've never used it, but I understand that it can be a lot easier to overdose with it. I won't use it myself.

Karen it isn't a good idea to alter the dosages or the delivery method. I don't recommend it. You'll need to mix it every day and put a gallon of fresh water in each morning. It's a pain, but it's the right way to do it. I asked about being able to save the mix, and was told "No", so I'm going with what the more experienced people told me. I don't know if putting 1.5 cc's in 1/2 a gallon of water will be a large enough dose. Under-dosing can cause the worms to become immune to the medication. I don't know if cutting a worming dose in half is like halving a recipe. Ask a veterinarian.

I can only recommend what I've done myself, and what I've been told by the pros. Any deviation would be something I can't recommend.

Wazine is for one worm only - it is not "broad spectrum", so it's worthless unless you're targeting one specific worm. I don't know which worm it kills - - sorry. I've never used it, but I understand that it can be a lot easier to overdose with it. I won't use it myself.

To clarify, 'cause I tend to sometimes confuse folks: When I was suggesting splitting the dosage into two halves, but delivering both w/in a close period of time -- this is a standard method used in efficacy studies, so as to ensure that the treatment is properly distributed w/in each 'test subject' ~'-)

As for altering the dosages and the delivery methods? It's actually the best way to worm any animal/bird -- specifically weighing each is ideal, as this allows for calculating the specific amount req'd by each, which is why dosages are measured in how many milligrams of treatment per how many kilograms of animal/bird.

Wazine (piperazine) is for roundworms, and I think remains as the only one that has FDA approval, but -- you're right, in that there's better/safer [extra/off]-label choices, and that they cover the 'broader spectrum' of other potential worms chickens might have >> peck here << for more on the different worms chickens have, and different choices to kill 'em (the worms, not the chickens ~'-)

By the way? The whole mixin' w/ water is an FDA regulatory issue, in that these extra-label drugs are prohibited w/in feed ... typically ridiculous government rule.

I am confused not because the ratio is still the same, just in a smaller dose.

The dosage birds receive when active ingredients are delivered via water is based upon individual consumption, which varies based upon age, temperature and food consumption: As long as the solution offered is properly mixed and proportioned, and is available constantly as the sole source of drinking water? Then, you've got it covered. Mixing any more of the solution than they'll consume in a single day would be of no benefit to the birds.

I'm still a big fan of delivering medications in other ways (directly into the crop, or mixed w/ food/feed), as ingredients can settle, or simply taste badly enough to reduce the amount birds drink, and so much too often gets wasted ... it's just far more difficult and inefficient, in my opinion.

I use safe guard pellets, I also use paste and the liquid. I have Wazine also. This is for my chickens and Guineas, I rotate which way I give it to them.

I use Ivermectin Pour on for my Turkeys and Peafowl.

I use safe guard pellets, I also use paste and the liquid. I have Wazine also. This is for my chickens and Guineas, I rotate which way I give it to them.

I use Ivermectin Pour on for my Turkeys and Peafowl.

If all you are using is Safeguard each time, (no matter the form or method of delivery) you may eventually have birds with large worm loads that are resistant to Safeguard (or any other brands of Fenbenzadole de-wormer). Using and rotating the usage of 2-3 different types of broad spectrum de-wormers is more effective, and avoids resistance.

If you are putting the Ivermectin Pour-On on your Turkeys and Peafowl topically, then you aren't de-worming them, at all. That might help get rid of mites or lice on them (and even that's questionable), but that's about it. Pour-On is not supposed to be given orally...

Last edited:
Alot of research I did points to the pour on being good for worming.

I just started using the safe guard, I'll switch to the Valbazen next.

I have not wormed my Guinea Fowl for over a year. I can not keep them in one place ! They drink whatever water is available to them. Mostly from the Mini Horse's water.
trying to herd a bunch of Guinea Fowl is harder than herding cats.
So any one out there have any suggestions on this situation ? ?

GuineaGoonie, I'm not sure you can worm free-range guineas. I guess you'd have to catch them at night and administer the wormer orally....I just don't know. You say you haven't wormed them in a year. How did you worm them before? Where they penned then? Mine are penned so they have to drink the water I give them. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Back
Top Bottom