Worming with Equimax

termeerchick

Songster
Sep 2, 2019
California
Hi!
So I noticed my chickens have tapeworm segments in their poop. I am going to be worming them with Equimax horse wormer. I know a few things on how to do it but still have questions. I also wanted to double check the information I know. I know that for every 5 lbs you give no less then 0.16 ml and no more then 0.3ml. I also know that you are supposed to do a 24 hour fast. And That’s about all I know. My questions are: how long is the withdrawal period for the eggs? And how many days after the first dose do I dose them again? Also is there an “easier” way to give it to them? Would it be ok to put it in a little bit of bread? When should I except to see the tapeworms in their poop? If anyone knows any of these questions I would be soo grateful for some help. I just want my girls and boys to feel better. Thank you so much in advance.

You may find this helpful for dosing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rms-under-construction.1220309/#post-19519143

They may or may not eat bread with the paste on it or you may have a bird snag more than one piece of bread...it would be better to individually dose them - see the link below for giving oral medication.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/
Ok I will check those lols out. Thank you so much!

You may find this helpful for dosing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rms-under-construction.1220309/#post-19519143

They may or may not eat bread with the paste on it or you may have a bird snag more than one piece of bread...it would be better to individually dose them - see the link below for giving oral medication.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

Thank you so so so much!!!! Those links helped out tremendously!!! I truly do appreciate you sending me in the right direction.

I just went to these links and see I messed up. I was dosing with Equimax tonight, but ran out and had Zimectin Gold on hand so used it, figured the dose would be the same. I know, I know, I should have looked it up before doing it, but I was on a roll and needed to get it done. So, some were underdosed. How critical is this now? I plan to redose in 10 days, using the Zimectin Gold since it's what I have now. And here I was, patting myself on the back for finally managing to get everyone dosed without any issues. (Although one of them flapped and caught me on the cheek, leaving a bruise)

I just went to these links and see I messed up. I was dosing with Equimax tonight, but ran out and had Zimectin Gold on hand so used it, figured the dose would be the same. I know, I know, I should have looked it up before doing it, but I was on a roll and needed to get it done. So, some were underdosed. How critical is this now? I plan to redose in 10 days, using the Zimectin Gold since it's what I have now. And here I was, patting myself on the back for finally managing to get everyone dosed without any issues. (Although one of them flapped and caught me on the cheek, leaving a bruise)
I honestly don't know...maybe @casportpony would know more. To me under dosing is not going to be effective.

Honestly I’m not sure. I think @casportpony would be the one to ask. She is so helpful and I trust her opinion 100%. I’m sorry I couldn’t be more help but I know someone here could answer your questions. Good luck!

The Zimectrin Gold has ~1/2 the praziquantel of Equimax, so twice as much should be given. One of my books says the praziquantel dose is 7 mg/kg, so maybe the the amount given will work?

I know that I did my heaviest, the older roo, with the z-gold, so he got a lesser dose than he should have. The rest of them probably got enough, since only 3 are heavy. The hens I'm most concerned about are the lightest, so I think we're good. The 3 heaviest are also the healthiest looking--clean bums and not molting. I think I'm probably good at this point. They all got Wazine 10 days ago, gave it for 2 days after I saw live worms (segmented, almost clear and actively moving) in some poops. Didn't see any live worms since then. I'll give them a second dose of z-gold in 10 days.

I want to give out a special thanks to all who encouraged me to get the birds more used to me (I'm the one who has issues with all the flapping and squawking). This has helped so much. They still don't like me picking them up, but the ones whose butts I've washed and treated take it so much better now than at first. Also, I think it was Dawg53, special thanks for telling me how to dose with a small syringe in their beak. It worked so well and was actually easy. I had such a good experience--started at about 8:30 pm and was finished in 45 minutes with dosing and a squirt of permethrim spray for lice. (I actually never saw the lice on any of the birds, but did see lice in the nest box, so hopefully prevented an infestation). Today I took the day off to do a thorough coop clean and spray. Did a good clean out 10 days ago when I did the Wazine, so it won't be a huge job. I get wild birds in the coop after food, so plan on not putting food in there anymore.

Back
Top Bottom