WORMING with Fenbendazole - - How much?

Pics
Can you separate her from the flock and take a look at a 24 hour collection of poop?

-Kathy

It would probably be easier to follow her around lol...it's 103 degrees here right now and too hot to keep her in the separation cage...they free range from morning to night...

Not sure if I've seen the entire stream here, but I use the safeguard equine paste. It's amazing & by far the easiest for me, but I only have a flock of 13 all under 1 year. I use 1 pea size portion per chicken. I slightly open their mouth & wedge it right in. They gobble it up. Then give a 2nd dose in 10 days; & I'm done. Had one hen with Gape Worm, & worked on contact.

Thanks for the heads up re: the egg waiting period. I wasn't sure.

Blessings! :jumpy

Not sure if I've seen the entire stream here, but I use the safeguard equine paste. It's amazing & by far the easiest for me, but I only have a flock of 13 all under 1 year. I use 1 pea size portion per chicken. I slightly open their mouth & wedge it right in. They gobble it up. Then give a 2nd dose in 10 days; & I'm done. Had one hen with Gape Worm, & worked on contact.

Thanks for the heads up re: the egg waiting period. I wasn't sure.

Blessings!
jumpy.gif
Welcome to BYC!

You might want to do a little research on the amount you're giving when you give a peas sized amon. I know there are hundreds of posts that say to use that amount, heck, even a book says to use it, but a pea sized amount contains very little medication, so you're are probably under dosing some worms, and not treating other worms.

One pea sized amount = ~ 25 mg, which = 0.25 ml (1/4 cc) of the 10% Safeguard Liquid. Such a small amount *might* treat large roundworms, but it will not treat cecal worms, capillary worms, gapeworms, etc. My vet has me give 0.23 ml per *pound*, not 0.23 ml per bird.

If you can, find a vet that can do fecals for you to see if you even have worms. Then the vet can advise you on the best way to worm your flock.

Safeguard and Panacur are the same, both are 10% (100 mg/g) fenbendazole
From left to right:
Small = 10 mg (0 .1 ml)
Medium = 25 mg (0.25 ml)
Large = 50 mg ( .5 ml)

-Kathy

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

You might want to do a little research on the amount you're giving when you give a peas sized amon. I know there are hundreds of posts that say to use that amount, heck, even a book says to use it, but a pea sized amount contains very little medication, so you're are probably under dosing some worms, and not treating other worms.

One pea sized amount = ~ 25 mg, which = 0.25 ml (1/4 cc) of the 10% Safeguard Liquid. Such a small amount *might* treat large roundworms, but it will not treat cecal worms, capillary worms, gapeworms, etc. My vet has me give 0.23 ml per *pound*, not 0.23 ml per bird.

If you can, find a vet that can do fecals for you to see if you even have worms. Then the vet can advise you on the best way to worm your flock.

Safeguard and Panacur are the same, both are 10% (100 mg/g) fenbendazole
From left to right:
Small = 10 mg (0 .1 ml)
Medium = 25 mg (0.25 ml)
Large = 50 mg ( .5 ml)

-Kathy

So glad I found this post. I just went and bought the Safe-Guard for goats 10% suspension and my bird is 3.5 pounds and 5 months old so how much do I put in her drinking water and for how many days? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BYC! You might want to do a little research on the amount you're giving when you give a peas sized amon. I know there are hundreds of posts that say to use that amount, heck, even a book says to use it, but a pea sized amount contains very little medication, so you're are probably under dosing some worms, and not treating other worms. One pea sized amount = ~ 25 mg, which = 0.25 ml (1/4 cc) of the 10% Safeguard Liquid. Such a small amount *might* treat large roundworms, but it will not treat cecal worms, capillary worms, gapeworms, etc. My vet has me give 0.23 ml per *pound*, not 0.23 ml per bird. If you can, find a vet that can do fecals for you to see if you even have worms. Then the vet can advise you on the best way to worm your flock. Safeguard and Panacur are the same, both are 10% (100 mg/g) fenbendazole [COLOR=333333]From left to right:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Small = 10 mg (0 .1 ml)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Medium = 25 mg (0.25 ml) [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Large = 50 mg ( .5 ml)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] -Kathy
So glad I found this post. I just went and bought the Safe-Guard for goats 10% suspension and my bird is 3.5 pounds and 5 months old so how much do I put in her drinking water and for how many days? Thanks in advance.
What worms do you want to treat her for? -Kathy

She needs 0.8 ml *orally* for 5 consecutive days.

-Kathy

Kathy, Appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. By orally do you mean actually putting it down her throat instead of in her water? If I am using a 3 cc syringe is the .80 just two lines above the 1 cc mark? I want to make certain I do this right.

She needs 0.8 ml *orally* for 5 consecutive days.

-Kathy

Kathy, Appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.  By orally do you mean actually putting it down her throat instead of in her water?  If I am using a 3 cc syringe is the .80 just two lines above the 1 cc mark?  I want to make certain I do this right.

Orally, yes, in the mouth. 0.8 ml = 0.8 cc, so just a little less than 1 cc.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom