Worming with Valbazen

I talked to a vet in sault Michigan we live in sault Canada and they told me if I deworm my chickens we can't ever eat the eggs is that true

Can't believe nobody replied for you. This is not true. You cannot eat the eggs for two weeks after a dose. After that, they're good!

Hi, I am replying to a post from last year.
When you said dose every day, was that for Wazine or Valbazen or both? :)

If I start Valbazen tomorrow, do I do that for 10 straight days? And at this dosage?: " one half cc/ml for standard size chickens, one quarter cc/ml for smaller chickens including silkies"

OR do I administer Valbazen tomorrow and then wait 10 days to redose to get the larvae, per this post? "Redose them again 10 days later to kill larva hatched from eggs missed by the first dosing."

Thank you so much for the clarification! I really apprecaite it~!

Hi, I am replying to a post from last year.
When you said dose every day, was that for Wazine or Valbazen or both? :)

If I start Valbazen tomorrow, do I do that for 10 straight days? And at this dosage?: " one half cc/ml for standard size chickens, one quarter cc/ml for smaller chickens including silkies"

OR do I administer Valbazen tomorrow and then wait 10 days to redose to get the larvae, per this post? "Redose them again 10 days later to kill larva hatched from eggs missed by the first dosing."

Thank you so much for the clarification! I really apprecaite it~!
You treat once, then repeat in 10 days. Toss eggs for a total of 24 days from day 1. The dosage you have is correct. If you have a huge chicken over 9 lb., you may want to give 3/4 cc/ml.

I'm not saying that the dose is wrong, but the *most effective* dose according to the study that dawg often refers to is 20mg/kg, which is approximatly .2ml per 2.2 pounds. For example, an average sized RIR hen would get .58ml and a Jersey Giant hen would get .9-1ml.

-Kathy

Thanks somewhere someone said they continued to eat their eggs
You should not eat the eggs for a number of reason, however you are not likely to die of eating them, rather the considerations are things like: drug allergies and low dosing rates. Can contribute to making the medications less effective in the future.

IF you are dosing twice at 10 days apart you can feed the eggs back to the birds after the first dosing but not the second because that will drag out the number of days with the eggs containing drug residues.

ALways good to use management methods that reduce the need for dewormers.

wormed my girls yesterday, 19 hens and 1 rooster thought it would be more difficult. my girls are not used to being held. I notice Chester was limping this morning he did not want to be held and we may have pulled a leg muscel while he and I danced.

Back
Top Bottom