Worming with Wazine 17 and Ivermectin....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
There is one wormer that will kill them ALL....valbazen. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose again in 10 days to kill larva hatched from eggs since the initial dosing.

Dawg, I don't believe that is true. If you consider cocci a parasite and it is a one cell parasite, then Valbazen is not the drug of choice. There are just too many internal parasites for one wormer to do a complete job.

Ah Chicken Grandma, I think you are a little confused. I have never mentioned valbazen as a treatment for cocci. It is strictly a wormer. Cocci is a whole different ballgame, a protozoa...corid and sulmet will treat cocci. The OP is asking worming questions, not about cocci. I do agree if one wants to know what type of worm they are dealing with and cant identify worms, they SHOULD take a sample to a vet if it's affordable or within a reasonable distance. Believe me, I NEVER recommennd a wormer to treat cocci lol.
Albendazole (valbazen) DOES kill all known worms that chickens get. It is the best wormer on the market, even better than safeguard...and I use safeguard as well in rotation. I hope this clears it up. We actually think alike in regards to worming lol.

Quote:
Dawg, I don't believe that is true. If you consider cocci a parasite and it is a one cell parasite, then Valbazen is not the drug of choice. There are just too many internal parasites for one wormer to do a complete job.

Ah Chicken Grandma, I think you are a little confused. I have never mentioned valbazen as a treatment for cocci. It is strictly a wormer. Cocci is a whole different ballgame, a protozoa...corid and sulmet will treat cocci. The OP is asking worming questions, not about cocci. I do agree if one wants to know what type of worm they are dealing with and cant identify worms, they SHOULD take a sample to a vet if it's affordable or within a reasonable distance. Believe me, I NEVER recommennd a wormer to treat cocci lol.
Albendazole (valbazen) DOES kill all known worms that chickens get. It is the best wormer on the market, even better than safeguard...and I use safeguard as well in rotation. I hope this clears it up. We actually think alike in regards to worming lol.

Dawg, can you provide evidence that Valbazen can kill all known worms that chickens get? Cocci is a parasite. Many of the newbies on this site are wanting help with internal parasites of all kinds.
Gapeworm was not mentioned in the Valbazen literature either.

Quote:

Dawg, can you provide evidence that Valbazen can kill all known worms that chickens get? Cocci is a parasite. Many of the newbies on this site are wanting help with internal parasites of all kinds.

Keep in mind that cocci is not a worm. Here's a link for you...look at albendazole (valbazen)...I hope this helps you, it'll save you trips $$ to the vet $$$ lol:
http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf
ETA: It also kills stomach worm, gapeworm, eyeworm, gizzard worm, flukes.

Last edited:
Quote:

Keep in mind that cocci is not a worm. Here's a link for you...look at albendazole (valbazen)...I hope this helps you, it'll save you trips $$ to the vet $$$ lol:
http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf
ETA: It also kills stomach worm, gapeworm, eyeworm, gizzard worm, flukes.

Dawg, the cost of a fecal check to verify that my flock does not have worms is cheaper than the cost of the valbazen or the loss of 24 days of eggs. Dosing valbazen or any wormer each year if my flock does not have worms is not a cost saver. If a newbie has a chicken with diarrhea and they assume that giving Valbazen will cure all parasites and help their flock, that may be true or it may cost them their whole flock if they or you guessed wrong. I am recommending that no one guesses. I am recommending the people find out what internal parasite they are dealing with before treating the animal with medicine.

Also, Gapeworm was not mentioned in the information you have provided as a link. The link you have provided is to a drug company who sells this product.
I used to work for Bristol Myers Squib. I know this type of literature well. What would be reassuring is to see the label of Valbazen recommend it's use in chickens and for the types of worms that it will kill in chickens. The proof is on the label.

Last edited:
It may be cheaper for YOU. Total cost of a bottle valbazen including shipping is about $42 for a 500ml bottle, the current expiration date is sometime in 2015. That's only just over $10 a year....2011-2015. How much gas does it cost to drive to a vet? Some people just cant afford vets what they charge to bring in a sample. Most want to see the bird too and dont know squat about birds. I had that happen to me many years ago. Loss of eggs is not revelant in keeping a chicken worm free from the internal damage worms incur. Have you ever watched "Monsters Inside Me" on Aniaml Planet? Feel free to google it and watch a few of those videos online. Around here, there's plenty of vets...only one will accept a poop sample from a chicken. Our humane society doesnt allow birds nor samples to be brought to them for the vet. Chicken Grandma, not everyone has the convenience that you have in the city where you live, nor the money. Sometimes diarrhea can be a cause of worms, there are usually other physical symptoms as well. Valbazen like safeguard is a safe wormer. The dosages recommended for the wormers will not harm the chickens in regards to overdosing. As a matter of fact, you could overdose a chicken 10 times the amount with safeguard and it wont harm the chicken. The thing is that high amount isnt needed to do the job of a smaller dose. I never guess wrong, I thoroughly investigate dosages for all medicines I recommend. If I dont know the answer, I dont respond to the post...that is common sense. You can recommend what you wish. I'll continue to help others here with their questions as I have been doing.

You would like to see a label on valbazen stating for it's use in chickens? Feel free to contact the manufacturer since you have an inside track. Make sure you contact the maker of safeguard,,,the product that you have used...dont forget about ivomec, you know... the people at Merial. I can assure you that valbazen kills ALL worms. Whether you believe me ot not, that's your choice and loss...I have never misled nor lied to anyone here. I'm not that type of person. I dont like my credibilty questioned neither.

Last edited:
Thanks Dawg53 for all the valuable info i will be ordering Valbazen . I dont need very much but if I order a 500ml bottle from Valleyvet.com I get free shipping and it comes out to $39.95 in comparison to the 100ml bottle from firststatevetsupply.com for $26.00 and $16.00 shipping, so its an oral drench so do i have to get a dropper or what works best Dawg53?

So when you use this medicine, you all really give it to each chicken individually?? I am so glad I did not know how hard chicken keeping was 20 years ago or I wouldn't have started.

I was at our veterinarian today for another reason and I asked him about routine worming. He is an avian vet and our local zoo vet.

He said that he does not agree that people should routinely worm their chickens because #1 the side effects for Valbazen (albendazole) are too great, mainly it is hard on the liver of the chicken and it stays in the body for a long time which is why you have to not eat the eggs for at least 3 weeks. . And #2 - worming routinely creates resistance to the wormer.

He recommends a fecal test to determine what types of worms a flock of chickens has and then he recommends treating the chickens with the appropriate wormer.

He uses a lot of Ivermectin because it is 'in and out of the birds quickly' with few side effects.

He suggested that BYC members call their local 4-H office if they cannot find a vet who will do inexpensive fecal checks for them. He also said that at the college he attended for vet school, modestly sized chicken farms dropped off fecal samples all the time. They did not routinely treat for parasites.

Large scale chicken farms would cull several birds and the vet students would identify the parasites on necropsy. Again, neither large or moderate sized (100 chickens) routinely wormed.

Dawg this vet and I question why you heavily promote Valbazen. I sincerely hope that you do not have a financial motive here. I also would love to see worm medicines labeled with information for chicken owners but our vet said that the market for chicken wormer is so small that the drug companies will not pursure having the FDA approve their medicines for use in chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom