Worming with Wazine /Safeguard

Paully3

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
The Thumb of Michigan
I read several threads about worming and I know I saw somewhere to worm with Wazine first, then 10 days later, to worm with Safeguard(fenbendazole). So 10 days ago, I started with Wazine in the water for 24 hours and now I am searching for the proper dosage of the Safeguard. Also, I've read that it should be diluted before administered orally and that it should be given once or repeated for three days. Now I am very confused. I wormed a while ago but I don't think I did it properly because the chickies only seemed to perk up for a little while. They all seem thin to me and have yellow diarrhea. I want them to be happy healthy egg layers for my family. Please clarify, should I have used the Wazine first 10 days ago? Should I dose with liquid Safeguard for one day or three days? What dosages do I use? Does it need to be diluted or given straight out of the bottle? Will I need to repeat the dosage again in say, 14 days? I know that's a lot of questions but I want to make sure I'm understanding the process.

The problem with Wazine (piperizine) is that it has been used for so long and only treats roundworms. How old are your birds? Are they Standard breeds or Bantams? Safeguard liquid goat wormer is .5 cc oral dose for a bird 2-5 lb straight out of the bottle with a syringe. A Bantam would receive .25 cc. Dose is repeated 10 days later. Being thin and having yellow diarrhea could be many things. The problem with cecal worms is they release a protozoan which causes a disease called Blackhead (Histomoniasis). That doesn't mean your birds have it, it just means the possibility is there. Safeguard will get rid of cecal worms, but if the problem continues, you may want to treat for Histomoniasis. Metronidazole is the medicine used to treat Blackhead.

Last edited:
They are anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half. And they are a variety of birds. Black australorps, white leghorns, ee's, RIRs, buff Orpingtons, barred rock and isa browns. We have 25 in all, 23 hens and two mixed roos. One roo certainly has barred in him, not sure if its barred rock or Dominique or what and the other I don't know. They both have pea combs. I was told the roos were brothers but they don't look anything alike. Regardless, they are good sized birds. I haven't been in chickens long enough to know whether they are large or standards. I know they aren't bantams or giants...

They are anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half. And they are a variety of birds. Black australorps, white leghorns, ee's, RIRs, buff Orpingtons, barred rock and isa browns. We have 25 in all, 23 hens and two mixed roos. One roo certainly has barred in him, not sure if its barred rock or Dominique or what and the other I don't know. They both have pea combs. I was told the roos were brothers but they don't look anything alike. Regardless, they are good sized birds. I haven't been in chickens long enough to know whether they are large or standards. I know they aren't bantams or giants...

.5 cc/ml for each bird will do the job. I've done that many myself, but if you want to do a flock treatment in water, I'd suggest Wormout gel that is 24cc mixed in a gallon of water for two days. Then do it again in 10 days for two days. The treated water must be the only source of drinking water for those two days: http://www.jedds.com/-strse-612/WORMOUT-GEL-100ml-fdsh-1000ml-(Vetafarm)/Detail.bok

Some people use a Triple Action Wormer made by Rooster Booster. The problem with it is getting the birds to eat it though: http://www.jefferspet.com/rooster-booster-triple-action-multi-wormer/camid/liv/cp/16800/
It won't do any good if they don't eat enough of it. This is often why people like myself prefer direct fed doses in liquid or pill form to treat for worms.

So just one day then? Does the dose need to be repeated in 10-14 days? 3 months? This is where I get confused. And that is .5 ccs undiluted?

With Safeguard, dose each bird. Then do it again 10 days later. You will notice a 0.5 mark on this syringe below. 1/2 cc/ml is the same as .05 cc/ml. Undiluted means straight out of the Safeguard container.
3ml-std-syringe.gif

Last edited:
I would use flubenvet, which treats an array of worms... My girls are on their 5th day treatment and they seem cured :D! Their droppings are normal etc and I noticed today BRIGHT red combs :) and I'm a newbie with keeping hens (only got two as pets) & I'm delighted with results

Help! My Silkies have worms and we are getting ready to show them at the Fair. I just ordered Rooster Booster and am worried about whether it is effective or not and how much to give them in a smaller quantity than a 50 lbs bag. Should I be giving them something else or is this a good option? Any information appreciated.

Help! My Silkies have worms and we are getting ready to show them at the Fair. I just ordered Rooster Booster and am worried about whether it is effective or not and how much to give them in a smaller quantity than a 50 lbs bag. Should I be giving them something else or is this a good option? Any information appreciated.
@JBing , welcome to BYC!

What type of worms do they have?

Back
Top Bottom