worming

newchickenlady1

Hatching
Jan 8, 2016
We started with 13 hen and 1 rooster a friend of mine was moving and I took her chickens . First do you need to worm? and What do you use to worm? Some of the stuff I have found you have to throw your eggs away for couple weeks I don't like this. Before I got the chickens she let them run all over the place. now they are in a ruin we build and a new hen house we have had them since Nov 25 2015 . They seem to like there new house of course they should my husband really build a nice one you would have to see picture to believe it. Any way on to worming I have read you can use something called DE for worming I need to know how much to give them?
I have notice I have two chicken with scale on there feet I tried to put in water and scrub there feet with flea shampoo then I put Vaseline and coated them . There feet look a little better. I am only getting 6 eggs on day and 4 on the second day shouldn't I be getting a least 13 eggs a day? I do I find out which ones are laying and the ones are not laying?

We started with 13 hen and 1 rooster a friend of mine was moving and I took her chickens .1. First do you need to worm? and What do you use to worm? Some of the stuff I have found you have to throw your eggs away for couple weeks I don't like this. Before I got the chickens she let them run all over the place. now they are in a ruin we build and a new hen house we have had them since Nov 25 2015 . They seem to like there new house of course they should my husband really build a nice one you would have to see picture to believe it. Any way on to worming I have read you can use something called DE for worming I need to know how much to give them?
I have notice I have two chicken with scale on there feet I tried to put in water and scrub there feet with flea shampoo then I put Vaseline and coated them . There feet look a little better. I am only getting 6 eggs on day and 4 on the second day 2. shouldn't I be getting a least 13 eggs a day? I do I find out which ones are laying and the ones are not laying?
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! We're glad you're here!
1. There are differing opinions on this. I do not believe in worming chickens unless a severe infestation occurs. That is simply my opinion, and many great chicken keepers would disagree with this. Cleanliness in the coop and healthy birds are the best ways to prevent worms.
2. Hens rarely lay consistently an egg a day. As age increases, production decreases. How old are these birds?
Also, in the wintertime, with the less daylight, hens production drops also. Their systems are taking a break, getting ready for the "spring rush" of eggs
tongue.png

X2
DE won't do anything for worms. That is a fallacy. I don't worm unless a fecal sample tells me there is a heavy infestation.
Even egg farms with all young egg hybrids don't get an egg every day. Backyard chickens aren't managed the same. Now that winter solstice is passed, eggs will be forthcoming soon.
Hens laying will have 2+ finger width distance between the pointy pelvic bones.
For scaly leg mites. One part kerosene to two parts linseed oil brushed on the roosts and chickens legs is the treatment.

We started with 13 hen and 1 rooster a friend of mine was moving and I took her chickens .[COLOR=FF0000]1.[/COLOR] First do you need to worm? and What do you use to worm? Some of the stuff I have found you have to throw your eggs away for couple weeks I don't like this. Before I got the chickens she let them run all over the place. now they are in a ruin we build and a new hen house we have had them since Nov 25 2015 . They seem to like there new house of course they should my husband really build a nice one you would have to see picture to believe it. Any way on to worming I have read you can use something called DE for worming I need to know how much to give them?
I have notice I have two chicken with scale on there feet I tried to put in water and scrub there feet with flea shampoo then I put Vaseline and coated them . There feet look a little better. I am only getting 6 eggs on day and 4 on the second day [COLOR=FF0000]2.[/COLOR] shouldn't I be getting a least 13 eggs a day? I do I find out which ones are laying and the ones are not laying?

:welcome
Welcome! We're glad you're here! 
1. There are differing opinions on this. I do not believe in worming chickens unless a severe infestation occurs. That is simply my opinion, and many great chicken keepers would disagree with this. Cleanliness in the coop and healthy birds are the best ways to prevent worms. 
2. Hens rarely lay consistently an egg a day. As age increases, production decreases. How old are these birds? 
Also, in the wintertime, with the less daylight, hens production drops also. Their systems are taking a break, getting ready for the "spring rush" of eggs :p  

How do you know when you have a severe infestation?

-Kathy

We started with 13 hen and 1 rooster a friend of mine was moving and I took her chickens . First do you need to worm? and What do you use to worm? Some of the stuff I have found you have to throw your eggs away for couple weeks I don't like this. Before I got the chickens she let them run all over the place. now they are in a ruin we build and a new hen house we have had them since Nov 25 2015 . They seem to like there new house of course they should my husband really build a nice one you would have to see picture to believe it. Any way on to worming I have read you can use something called DE for worming I need to know how much to give them?
I have notice I have two chicken with scale on there feet I tried to put in water and scrub there feet with flea shampoo then I put Vaseline and coated them . There feet look a little better. I am only getting 6 eggs on day and 4 on the second day shouldn't I be getting a least 13 eggs a day? I do I find out which ones are laying and the ones are not laying?

Welcome to BYC! Gather up a bunch of fresh poop, place in ziplock bag, stir well, take to vet and have them check it for worm eggs.

-Kathy

-Kathy

Lethargy, worms in poop, etc, general signs of disease-once I have ruled out the possibility of it being anything else. Would also take a fecal sample to a vet if I noticed the above issues. Worms have never been a problem for me in the 4 years I've raised chickens (could be for someone else) and I don't prevent unless there's been a previous problem (which is why I vaccinate every bird for fowlpox--loads of mosquitoes down here and always had issues with the disease)
I'm sure there could be many holes shot in my methods....
1f603.png

Last edited:

-Kathy

Lethargy, worms in poop, etc, general signs of disease-once I have ruled out the possibility of it being anything else. Would also take a fecal sample to a vet if I noticed the above issues. Worms have never been a problem for me in the 4 years I've raised chickens (could be for someone else) and I don't prevent unless there's been a previous problem (which is why I vaccinate every bird for fowlpox--loads of mosquitoes down here and always had issues with the disease)
I'm sure there could be many holes shot in my methods....
1f603.png

Might be a good idea to have routine fecals done rather that wait for any of the many signs of illness. Once sign of illness are visible, it's often too late.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom