Wormout gel dose?

melonplum

Hatching
Sep 20, 2015
I am so confused. The last worming gel I used was very clear about dosage. The bottle I have says to dilute 1ml per 9 ml water and provide this as the sole source of water for 2 days. Does this mean I would use the whole 50ml bottle and mix it with 540ml of water?! That's like 2 cups of water for my 9 chickens?? The dose for giving it "by mouth" would work out to be about 2ml per bird as it says dilute it at the rate above and give at .5ml per 100g bird so a 2kg bird would be 2ml. I'm certain my birds need more than 2 cups of water for 2 days and if they drank it all that would be 50ml of gel consumed by 9 birds instead of 18ml of get if given by mouth? I CAN catch all my chickens and give by mouth but then I have to keep track of exactly who I have given it to and I have 4 kids under 8 and not a great back
1f633.png
I'd much rather put it in their water!!

Last edited:
My waterer is 20litres. So I would need 2 litres of wormout. The bottle I have is 50ml and cost $15 so I would need 40 bottles.... About $600 worth
1f602.png
Not sure that's right?

I am so confused. The last worming gel I used was very clear about dosage. The bottle I have says to dilute 1ml per 9 ml water and provide this as the sole source of water for 2 days. Does this mean I would use the whole 50ml bottle and mix it with 540ml of water?! That's like 2 cups of water for my 9 chickens?? The dose for giving it "by mouth" would work out to be about 2ml per bird as it says dilute it at the rate above and give at .5ml per 100g bird so a 2kg bird would be 2ml. I'm certain my birds need more than 2 cups of water for 2 days and if they drank it all that would be 50ml of gel consumed by 9 birds instead of 18ml of get if given by mouth? I CAN catch all my chickens and give by mouth but then I have to keep track of exactly who I have given it to and I have 4 kids under 8 and not a great back
1f633.png
You said 1ml per 9ml so unless you misquoted or read the label incorrectly 1 to 9 is correct. GC

So the easiest way to do it is if the dosage is 1 (ml) to 9 (ml). Mark the level of medicine on the bottle. Empty the bottle into the waterer, then fill the bottle to the same level as the medicine nine times dumping into the waterer. I think it would be cheaper to dose each bird. GC

But surely they don't expect that 20ml to be all the chicken has for water in 2 days?! I mean if they are saying a chicken should have 2ml of the liquid and it is diluted 2ml to 18ml water if they drink more than 20ml of water in 2 days they will get more of the working gel than they are supposed to have?? $600 worth of worming gel every few months isn't logical. It can't be right. You would be overdosing the chickens by bucket loads.

Last edited:
But surely they don't expect that 20ml to be all the chicken has for water in 2 days?! I mean if they are saying a chicken should have 2ml of the liquid and it is diluted 2ml to 18ml water if they drink more than 20ml of water in 2 days they will get more of the working gel than they are supposed to have?? $600 worth of worming gel every few months isn't logical. It can't be right. You would be overdosing the chickens by bucket loads.
Well I would call the company to find out the correct dosage. I have never wormed, so I am go by the information you gave me. GC

Yes it is very confusing! The bottle gave that dose and said to give by mouth, then it had a section that said "adding to drinking water" and said "dilute as per dosage by mouth" I was certain the amount couldn't be right but that's all it said on the bottle.

1f633.png
Thank you for checking in with this question. Because of variations by worming products, we recommend contacting your local veterinarian for directions specific to your flock. Please let us know of any additional questions; we are happy to help!

1f633.png
It's sold as a worming product for caged birds and and pigeons. If you want to use is for chickens in your waterers you need to get a larger bottle of it, 'cause it works out to 47 ml per gallon two days in a row, then you should probably repeat again in 10 days.

If you want to give it orally it does not need to be diluted. Dose for both medications is 10 mg/kg, and the product is 20 mg/ml.

Math looks like this.

1 pound - 1 / 2.2 x 10 / 20 = 0.227 ml per pound
5 pounds - 5 / 2.2 x 10 / 20 = 1.136 ml per five pound bird

So if you have 9 chickens that weigh 5 pounds your daily *oral* amount is 10.227 ml.

http://vetafarm.com.au/product/wormout-gel/
Quote:
Quote:
-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom