Worms...AGAIN. Please help...I dont know what I can use now!

Ask any active BYC member and they'll tell you I'm a little anal about dosing according to weight, but I really need to be, 'cause I have to medicate birds as small as 20 grams and as large as 15kg, so these things do matter, and they should matter to everyone with animals.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Did I miss something?

I'm just following along and enjoying the bird banter while learning something a long the way. :)

That picture =
caf.gif

MrsB

I do not know eradicator. I have just done my own research for my specific purposes. Scary to think that someone could be mistaken from me in expressed thoughts.
idunno.gif

Hypothetical question regarding the four chemical wormers, and let's pretend that given just the once that they will kill all worms that poultry get...

Question - What will happen if you give it them to a sick bird that has roundworms, cecal worms, capillary worms, tapeworms, gapeworms and gizzard worms?

Same for a dog, would one give this product to a sick dog with a similar worm burden?

-Kathy

I would first determine why the dog or bird is sick as it could have digested something and/or have other issues. Sickness is weakness to the body, but why is it sick? If I determined or concluded that the cause was worms, then yes I would hit them with a dose of whatever med(S) needed as to eradicate. Of course that is dependent upon the proven combinations of the medication mixes currently being used. Some may have incompatibility's and cause reactions. I would also try to boost their strength and probably try to give an series of anti-biotic as well if it was sick.

I would never jump in head first on a sick animal and start dosing it, the body is weak to begin with. Most treatments are suggested for healthy animals, but administered to that which has contracted or infected with such worm.

Hypothetical question regarding the four chemical wormers, and let's pretend that given just the once that they will kill all worms that poultry get...

Question - What will happen if you give it them to a sick bird that has roundworms, cecal worms, capillary worms, tapeworms, gapeworms and gizzard worms?

Same for a dog, would one give this product to a sick dog with a similar worm burden?

-Kathy

LOL, that's easy for poultry...Valbazen. I've heard of dogs being dosed with valbazen, but I've never done it.

Okay, so another question... If one has a sick chicken and suspects worms, but cannot afford to take it to a vet to confirm worms, or what type they might be, how would they treat it? Is something that contains the four chemical wormers the best choice? Or is something like Valbazen or Safeguard the better choice?

-Kathy

I would first determine why the dog or bird is sick as it could have digested something and/or have other issues. Sickness is weakness to the body, but why is it sick? If I determined or concluded that the cause was worms, then yes I would hit them with a dose of whatever med(S) needed as to eradicate. Of course that is dependent upon the proven combinations of the medication mixes currently being used. Some may have incompatibility's and cause reactions. I would also try to boost their strength and probably try to give an series of anti-biotic as well if it was sick.

I would never jump in head first on a sick animal and start dosing it, the body is weak to begin with. Most treatments are suggested for healthy animals, but administered to that which has contracted or infected with such worm.
In my flock, quite often the bird's illness stems from parasites, so worming is what I will do, even when one is critically ill, and like you, often they also get antibiotics. Dogs are another story, they go to the vet.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom