Worms and chickens?

CHICKENCHASERWV

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
I have been thinking about raising worms for both the soil benefits and as food for the chickens.
Question#1 Will chickens eat red worms?
Question#2 I understand that worms will reproduce at a exponential rate as in 1,000 now 10,000 in a couple of months,1,000,000 in a year or so. If this is true it semms as if this is a cheap was to get a endless supply of food for the chickens and compost for the garden.
What are your thoughts? Has any one else tried this?

I'm in the process of brainwashing my hubby into letting me raise worms for the chickens (and garden)
1X a week my son and I will go out under the tree and shovel up some mulch and collect the worms undernieth. The chickens love it.
big_smile.png

Chickens will trample one another for a worm. I'm talking full blown feeding frenzy, here! It is one of their natural and preferred foods and they go nuts for it. They need some animal protein in their diet and worms offer a great way to add it.

Will worms grow exponentially? Close to it. Will you need all of them? Probaly not. I advise you start small and work your way into what you will actually use.

Last edited:
Haha you wanna see something really fuuny? Throw a frog into thier run...my kids used to get such a kick out of "chicken frogball" when they were young

we have a creek behind our house and scoop crawfish out and toss them into the chickens yard...plenty of feathers flying and lots of chasing.

I know they love worms but my understaning is that the red worms are high in acid and are not good for them. Now I am not sure that this is true but I would like to know because the web site says that red worms and night crawlers are not the same. Night crawlers love dirt and don't like water and red worms don't need dirt and like water.

lol.png
too funny...I am new to chickens and actually was shocked when one of my hens flew across the coop like lightening on target for a buzzing fly. Snap. Gone.
wink.png
Guess I dont have to worry about creepy crawly things up there lol.

Back
Top Bottom