Worms and Valbazen dosing

Lumikko

Songster
Sep 14, 2019
Wayne, NJ
Good afternoon all. I'm curious about Valbazen dosing for chickens. PoultryDVM has it listed as: "Measure out ¼ mL (per bantam) or ½ mL (per regular-sized breed). Repeat in 2 weeks" but that seems awful vague and my chickens all greatly range in size.

I'm looking at ordering this: Valley Vet Supply

And I'd really appreciate help working out the dosing!

To add a little bit more information, I routinely fecal test the flock (spring and fall) but missed this springs test due to moving chaos. Ran a fecal test and got the below results:

Capillariid sp. ova present, few (3-10)

Eimeria sp. oocysts present, many (>30)

I'm treating with Corid first to deal with the coccidiosis and will then move on to the capillariid as they're present in fewer number. I've treated for coccidia before but the threadworm infection is something I've never dealt with before. I'm open to suggestions on which medication would be best. Additionally, how many days would you wait between treatment with Corid and treatment with Valbazen?

Thank you all!

Last edited:
I use Valbazen on a regular basis. Give it orally to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 0.08ml per pound of weight or 1/2ml for a 5 pound bird.
Then repeat dosing in 10 days.

Go out to the coop early in the morning before sunrise when it's still dark and bring a flashlight with you along with the Valbazen and syringe.
Chickens cant see in the dark and they will be roosting. Pre-load your syringe with Valbazen, then snatch a bird off the roost.

Cradle her in your forearm, and with your free hand grab the syringe. With your finger and thumb on your cradling arm, pull down on the hens wattles and her mouth will open. Quickly shoot the liquid in her mouth and release the wattles at the same time so she can swallow the liquid. If you dont quickly release her wattles, she could aspirate. Then there would be problems.

Do not dose a chicken with more that 1/2ml at a time because it would be too much liquid for the hen to swallow and she could aspirate.
Once you've dosed the hen, release her. Then preload your syringe and grab another bird off the roost and repeat the above procedure until all your birds have been wormed.

Worming birds in this manner guarantees that they have been properly wormed without any guesswork.
Also, you will be worming your birds on an empty stomach which is more effective eliminating worms. Your chickens will be hungry and so will the worms, feed them the wormer.

Once you've wormed all your birds, wait at least 2 hours after worming before you feed your birds. This gives time for the wormer to do its job. Your birds will be starving, feed them a small ration at a time building up to regular feeding rations. If you dont, and because they will be starving, they can gorge feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.

Repeat this procedure again in 10 days.
Just for your info; try practicing the above procedure, a dry run a few times will help you get used to it, and practice makes perfect.

I worm my birds monthly and we eat the eggs, still here typing. However, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, toss the eggs in the garbage for 2 weeks after the last dosing. Valbazen is a Benzimidazole. Benzimidazoles are mostly excreted and very little is absorbed into the bloodstream.

I use Valbazen on a regular basis. Give it orally to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 0.08ml per pound of weight or 1/2ml for a 5 pound bird.
Then repeat dosing in 10 days.

Go out to the coop early in the morning before sunrise when it's still dark and bring a flashlight with you along with the Valbazen and syringe.
Chickens cant see in the dark and they will be roosting. Pre-load your syringe with Valbazen, then snatch a bird off the roost.

Cradle her in your forearm, and with your free hand grab the syringe. With your finger and thumb on your cradling arm, pull down on the hens wattles and her mouth will open. Quickly shoot the liquid in her mouth and release the wattles at the same time so she can swallow the liquid. If you dont quickly release her wattles, she could aspirate. Then there would be problems.

Do not dose a chicken with more that 1/2ml at a time because it would be too much liquid for the hen to swallow and she could aspirate.
Once you've dosed the hen, release her. Then preload your syringe and grab another bird off the roost and repeat the above procedure until all your birds have been wormed.

Worming birds in this manner guarantees that they have been properly wormed without any guesswork.
Also, you will be worming your birds on an empty stomach which is more effective eliminating worms. Your chickens will be hungry and so will the worms, feed them the wormer.

Once you've wormed all your birds, wait at least 2 hours after worming before you feed your birds. This gives time for the wormer to do its job. Your birds will be starving, feed them a small ration at a time building up to regular feeding rations. If you dont, and because they will be starving, they can gorge feed possibly causing impacted crop or gizzard.

Repeat this procedure again in 10 days.
Just for your info; try practicing the above procedure, a dry run a few times will help you get used to it, and practice makes perfect.

I worm my birds monthly and we eat the eggs, still here typing. However, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, toss the eggs in the garbage for 2 weeks after the last dosing. Valbazen is a Benzimidazole. Benzimidazoles are mostly excreted and very little is absorbed into the bloodstream.
This is great information. How long would you recommend waiting after Corid treatment before beginning Valbazen treatment?

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom