Worms and Worming - Warning, Graphic Pictures and Videos

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by casportpony, Mar 26, 2016.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I remember you posted that before, and I think that works out to 0.3mg/kg. Her recommended banty dose, depending on the weight of the bird, could be as high as 2mg/kg, or higher! I doubt that amount will hurt poultry, but I think I read that ivermectin at 0.4mg/kg is toxic to some breeds of small birds?

Pigeon people give it up to 1mg/kg, I think, but I haven't seen anything higher recommended.

-Kathy

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I'm not very good at beating around the bush, lol. I have to assume that she really thinks one can just add ivermectin to the water. I did an experiment where I mixed it in water, it floated to the top in minutes. Then I found a msds (material safety data sheet) that said it's not water soluble. Neither is Safeguard, but Safeguard settles to the bottom, though not as quickly.

-Kathy

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Maybe I'll compose a list of my concerns and email them. Even her Corid (amprolium) dose is not correct. Sigh...

-Kathy

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Everybody seems to 'beat around the bush' on Ivermectin doses for chickens, because it's not approved for use. My "Backyard Poultry Medicine and Surgery" mentions using it for several issues, but doesn't give a dose. Very aggravating! I'm going to look in the Merck Manual next. Mary

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Merck gives an Ivermectin dose in drinking water, a very poor idea IMO. I've never tried Hygromycin B, because I'm not interested in mixing anything in food, and it's an aminoglycoside, so not sorry it will come off the market next year. Mary

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Too bad it doesn't have a formulary.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I tried to find the data sheets that said it's not soluble, now all I can find are ones that say "not determined". The three formularies I have all list giving it by injection or orally, none mention mixing it in water. Have to double check, but I think the highest dose mentioned is 1mg/kg.

Formularies
    • Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook
    • Clinical Avian Medicine
    • Avian Medicine: Principles and Applications

-Kathy

9. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    We use lecithin to mix essential oils into Bee feed, I wonder if you could use it to mix worming drugs in water.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I though this was interesting. Have no idea how true it is...

-Kathy

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by