Worms found in my chicken's feces

Beautiful Hens

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Today I found worms - long white round looking worms. I have been researching all day and am so stressed. I do not know which of my chickens the worms are coming from. It seems like I need to identify which chicken is sick before I can treat. Do you recommend treating naturally or going the chemical route and not eating the eggs for awhile? Also I learned that they get worms by eating parasites/bugs. But chickens eat bugs all day so it would seem that chickens would have worms all the time. What am I missing here? Any help would be great. Thank you so much.

I would recommend chemical, only because that is what I use and I found that it works well (ivermectin). Chickens do get worms often so some people deworm yearly, but I like to deworm as I find worms.

I hope this helps!

Today I found worms - long white round looking worms. I have been researching all day and am so stressed. I do not know which of my chickens the worms are coming from. It seems like I need to identify which chicken is sick before I can treat. Do you recommend treating naturally or going the chemical route and not eating the eggs for awhile? Also I learned that they get worms by eating parasites/bugs. But chickens eat bugs all day so it would seem that chickens would have worms all the time. What am I missing here? Any help would be great. Thank you so much.

You described large roundworms. I recommend that you purchase either valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Administer either wormer orally undiluted using a syringe without a needle. If one chickens has worms, your others have them or will eventually have them. It's best to worm all your birds at once, then reworm them again in 10 days to kill larva hatched from eggs missed by the initial dosing.
Dosage for either wormer is 1/2cc given orally to each standard size chicken, 1/4cc to smaller chickens. Use one wormer or the other. Redose again in 10 days. There's a 24 day withdrawal period from start to finish.

It's not a big deal. It sounds like roundworm, Chickens get worms if they are on dirt. A good practice is to worm twice a year, more if you are in a warm humid environment, or less if you are in a cool dry environment. A vet can check for worms at any time. Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer and Valbazen are 2 very good ones. Dosage is 1/2 ml of either, and repeat in 10 days for the larvae. Toss eggs for 14 days after last dose.

Back
Top Bottom