Worms Help!

Thanks. I had to watch it 5 or 6 times and stare at it. They are maggots.
Oh! Okay, thanks so much. I did check her yesterday and I didn't see any evidence of maggots living on her or any sores. Is it possible they are internal in any way? What should I do, and how is this treated?

Thanks. I had to watch it 5 or 6 times and stare at it. They are maggots.
Also I looked up Fly Strike, and it says it occurs when there is feces stuck around the vent, or an open wound, but she doesn't have either of these things. I am not really sure what to make of all this or how to help her.

I would say it's maggots too - do you still see them in the poop? Can you move some of the worms out of the poop so we can see them more clearly?

I would absolutely gather up that hen and inspect her really well. You may want to put her in a cage on puppy pads for several hours so you can get a good look at that poop and move it around and separate out those worms.

I would say it's maggots too - do you still see them in the poop? Can you move some of the worms out of the poop so we can see them more clearly?

I would absolutely gather up that hen and inspect her really well. You may want to put her in a cage on puppy pads for several hours so you can get a good look at that poop and move it around and separate out those worms.
Hi thanks for your input I really appreciate it. I have her separated out and have inspected her multiple times, as well as her poop, and honestly she seems perfectly normal and healthy so I am super confused. She doesn't have any poop buildup, wounds or any signs of maggots on her. And every poop that she has had after that one looks totally normal, I haven't seen any more signs of worms at all.

And with the poop in the video, all I noticed was that it was moving. I poked around in it with a stick for a while afterwards and I never actually found any worm or anything in it. So I'm not sure if maybe it was just an ant or something underneath it moving around, or it was a tiny worm that I couldn't see once it stopped moving. So unfortunately I can't show you the worms because I haven't seen them either, it was just a moving poop.

Is it possible this was just a one time thing or something? If she had an infestation would she have continued to have them in her poop?

Could another chicken have passed that dropping? I agree the fast moving things look like maggots, but the video image is small. I would inspect everyones vents tonight on the roost after dark. You can control flies in and around the coop for 30 days with permethrin spray.

Could another chicken have passed that dropping? I agree the fast moving things look like maggots, but the video image is small. I would inspect everyones vents tonight on the roost after dark. You can control flies in and around the coop for 30 days with permethrin spray.
okay thank you. No it was definitely her because I watched it happen and then that's when I noticed it. It was very small though, the whole poop was about the size of a nickel.

Back
Top Bottom