worms in bird food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by t/m, Jan 29, 2012.

1. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone gave me a bag of wild bird feed. When I opened it, there were little white worms.
    Are these meal worms?
    Can I still use it as feed? As a treat?
    Can I raise the worms in a meal worm farm?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. totallytang

totallytang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    nj
    can you post a pic? mealworms are normally light brown...

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would feed it, yes.

I do want to mention that if you can, use it up quickly as bugs/worms in feed will use up the nutrients in the feed. So if it is the layer ration, for example, they will be eating poor quality food.

Yours is just a treat, so it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't bring it in the house though. [​IMG]

4. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    sounds like maggots to me, I would certainly be careful where you store it, but as far as it being ok to feed to the chickens I really can't see a problem with it

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sounds like moth larvae to me. Looks like little white/tan catapillars? webs in the bag? Very common in bird seed. Not really a problem for birds. People will often just feed them to their parrots/caged birds.
    If you want to eliminate them freeze the seed, for a few days, it kills the moth, larvae and eggs.
    Do not leave it in your house if they get loose they can be heck to get rid of.
    They have several names, moth worms, wax worms, weevils etc. I'm not sure what there real name is.

Imp

ETA- Chickens are Sweet is correct a heavy infestation can degrade the nutrition.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  6. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you everyone for your replies! I will have to inspect the critters and bag a little closer tomorrow when it is light out.

7. AllenInTampa

AllenInTampa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Indian meal moth larvae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by