filmcmahon

Chirping
Nov 3, 2019
Ontario
hello all.
today when i went to free range my girls, my 11 month old dwarf colombian rock hen (never matured, doesn’t lay) was still sitting on the roost in the coop where she sleeps. i picked her up and soon noticed all the feathers near her vent wear soaking wet, vile smelling, and black. then one of my siblings was taking a look in the coop and found white worms in her last solid poop!
note that since monday she was acting a little different than usual, we thought it was sour crop but turns out it’s definitely not!!
she has been eating yogurt, not much feed and drinking water for the past couple days.
there was also drips of black liquid (i’m assuming the same that’s on her vent) on the wall of the coop next to where she sits.

so anyways, i made a mixture of plain greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, and diatomaceous earth for her to eat and she would only eat a little bit. i also isolated her from the others and added ACV to her water.
i will insert photos of everything
has anyone experienced this before? if yes, was a natural treatment effective, such as AVC and DE, or did you have to buy something to treat it, that i can also buy? please please help!
she is like a pet to my siblings and it would be a shame to see her pass. thank you

first photo: her vent area
second: the worm from the poop
third: the liquid black stuff

Attachments

• 937C1763-70EA-439F-BD69-1BE1C727AE70.jpeg
    937C1763-70EA-439F-BD69-1BE1C727AE70.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 51916944-B7C8-4121-B8E0-E5A5ADDBD2F7.jpeg
    51916944-B7C8-4121-B8E0-E5A5ADDBD2F7.jpeg
    621.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DE0912C5-478F-4C09-ABF2-6DE62FE6151E.jpeg
    DE0912C5-478F-4C09-ABF2-6DE62FE6151E.jpeg
    480.9 KB · Views: 58
That looks more like a maggot than a worm. DE is not, according to many articles on here, effective for worms. The idea that it is formed in tiny little shards which will "cut up" worms inside and kill them has been the idea, but the DE is softened when wet, and can also hurt the lungs if inhaled. I would take the bird to a vet if you have one available, but hopefully someone else more knowledgeable than I will respond...but that sure does look like a maggot.

That looks more like a maggot than a worm. DE is not, according to many articles on here, effective for worms. The idea that it is formed in tiny little shards which will "cut up" worms inside and kill them has been the idea, but the DE is softened when wet, and can also hurt the lungs if inhaled. I would take the bird to a vet if you have one available, but hopefully someone else more knowledgeable than I will respond...but that sure does look like a maggot.
ok. the last time we took a sick chicken to the vet they just tested her poop and said nothing was wrong, then she died. so i’m not sure that’s effective where i live

it was in fact flystrike. RIP Dolly 💕 :(

Back
Top Bottom