Worms in chicks

CatBarr

Songster
Sep 17, 2019
Seattle, WA
Hello everyone, I have 4 chicks who are about 4 weeks old. I've never raised chicks before (usually get pullets) and we found a dead worm (I think) in their enclosure. Can someone tell me from the pic what type of worm this is and what I can do to make sure they aren't badly infested? Aren't they too young to treat? I'm not feeding them medicated feed if that helps.
IMG_1176.jpg

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

I don't know what that is, but I don't think it is a chicken parasitic worm.

That makes me feel better! We lost some pullets to Mareks last year and I’m a little traumatized still I think. I might be overreacting here with the worm but I want to make sure they’re healthy :)

I agree it look like a dried earthworm. Is their run dirt. Earthworms come to the surface at night some get stuck and not able to get out of the sun and end up looking like that.

That’s the weird part, they’re in a giant tub, still inside, and the tub is lined with pine shavings. They haven’t been outside and we don’t bring anything to them from outside yet. I’m glad there are 3 votes for earthworm!

That’s the weird part, they’re in a giant tub, still inside, and the tub is lined with pine shavings. They haven’t been outside and we don’t bring anything to them from outside yet. I’m glad there are 3 votes for earthworm!

I have no idea where it could’ve come from but if it’s harmless, it doesn’t matter I guess :)

It might have gotten into the pine shavings, we found a small snake in some Timothy hey we bought last fall.

Back
Top Bottom