Worms in egg!

HenMom2020

Hatching
Oct 2, 2019
Hi all!
We have chickens and someone recently gave us 5 more. Tonight I cracked an egg with massive worms inside. :sick

I’m not sure which chicken it came from but I plan to deworm all anyways!!

Please help me decipher what type they are?? To me, it looks like more than 1 worm.
Tapeworm & roundworm perhaps??
I looked up safeguard but I don’t think that gets rid of tapeworm??
:idunno

Attachments

• 10AD24AC-6F01-4AF9-AB19-4E19C8E319C6.jpeg
    10AD24AC-6F01-4AF9-AB19-4E19C8E319C6.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Oh dear, I do not know anything about this. However, I know someone will be along shortly with the right answer. Even though I have not seen anything like this, I am ever so curious. One never knows when these things will happen in their own flock. Thank you for posting this.

And, Welcome to the Chicken Club! This is the place to be! You will learn more and laugh more than you ever thought possible! And you might possibly shed a tear or two.

It is excess chalazae, not worms. Roundworms are solid and cant see through them. They appear more white or off white in color.
There's no tapeworm. There are no segments or "lines" running horizontally across the surface. Besides, you'd wouldve already seen tapeworm segments in feces.

When acquiring new birds, you should quarantine them away from your existing flock for at least 4-6 weeks. That way you'll be protecting your existing flock in case the new birds have parasites, diseases etc....
It'll also give you time to inspect the new birds for injuries, inspect/treat for external and internal parasites and observe for respiratory diseases. Biosecurity includes avoiding contact with your existing flock after having contact with the new birds.
Respiratory diseases can be spread to your old flock by unknowingly handling sick birds even though they may not show symptoms.
Anytime during the quarantine period, if the new birds show signs of a respiratory disease, cull them and dispose of them off your property or incinerate them. You do not want your existing flock to become sick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom