Worms in feces, graphic and horrible picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CynthiaMQ, Nov 17, 2010.

1. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    x2
    ACV is great for health- people and chickens, but is not useful for preventing or treating worms other than it promotes a healthy GI tract. I suppose it might help the chicken better tolerate the worms that it has....

Quote:I use cider vinegar in their water daily for its great qualities such as helping the chickens system properly absorb calcium and keeping PH in balance. However, I can assure you that cider vinegar doesnt keep your chickens from getting worms.

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Well, nothing to report yet. I gave them Valbazen on Tuesday. I guess I expected to see some adult worms. Should I? Anyway, what I'll do is dose them with DE and AC vinegar in the next day or two and see if I can find anymore of this in their poops. Other than that, they seem happy and healthy. I gave them a good dusting of poultry dust and sprayed on some Scarlet Oil for the leg mites. They're not happy when I'm doing it but I think they are happy with the results. [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You may or may not see worms in their poop. Most of the time they are absorbed as protein. DE and vinegar are ineffective against worms. DE is useless when wet, inside the chickens' system...it's wet.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I tell you what, they're all laying big eggs now, all of a sudden!!!

5. happychickengirls

happychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Ooooooppps!!![​IMG] Thanks for the info chicken folks!![​IMG] Good to know it doesnt help with the worms in their poo.
    But it is still good for them none the less.

6. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Quote:When worming your chickens, how soon can you start collecting eggs again for consumption?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:When worming your chickens, how soon can you start collecting eggs again for consumption?

Fourteen days is normally the recommended withdrawal time for valbazen as is for most wormers.

8. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    How often do you worm your chickens? What is the dosage and is it a one day treatment or 3 day treatment.

I think I read somewhere it's 1cc for a standard

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Good to know! Do you give orally?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Good to know! Do you give orally?

Yes....1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by