Worms, no balance, possible coccidosis

Wilebaum

Songster
8 Years
Nov 2, 2014
Murfreesboro, TN
I have a good hen about 8 months old, lays like a pro.
She began having problems 2 days ago with balance and getting to and staying on her roost.
Ears/nose/breathing seem OK. No visible wounds.
I've quarantined her and given her lots of access to water, food, a few treats, she's eaten very well.
In her quarantine area I've discovered she clearly has worms, not tape worms, so I assume round worms. Lots of them in her droppings.
Her droppings are a bit loose and may have some green in them, but it might be greens from free range, only a portion of the droppings are green.
She's acting better today, but still has some problems with balance, legs seem strong.
Rest of flock is doing fine.

So, I know I need to treat my entire flock for worms. Will do first dose when I'm off Saturday.

1.Should I treat her for coccidosis?
2.Should I treat the flock for coccidosis?
3. Can worms and/or coccidosis cause these balance symptoms?

Any help be much appreciated.

I would worm her first with either Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer. Give 1/2 ml orally to each chicken, and repeat in 10 days. Then observe her behavior. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? So many things can cause balance problems, such as dehydration. Worms can cause diarrhea, so just look at her poops. try giving some Probios Powder for probiotics in their water.

I would worm her first with either Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer. Give 1/2 ml orally to each chicken, and repeat in 10 days. Then observe her behavior. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? So many things can cause balance problems, such as dehydration. Worms can cause diarrhea, so just look at her poops. try giving some Probios Powder for probiotics in their water.
I've wormed her on day 2 and she's on day 4 of corid for good measure. Not vaccinated for Mareks, hatched in an established barnyard by a local farmer. Her left leg is either injured(from falling of her roost maybe) or weak and she still has balance issue, but better. She's overall better, but still spending alot of time standing and looking tired. Still eats and drinks, walks around a bit, and will run from me(with a limp and steering to that affected side).
Will try some probiotics. Her poops are looking normal.
No one else has any symptoms.
Reading up on Marek's.

Back
Top Bottom