WORMS, RASPY BREATHING AND SCALY LEG

Mr Bojangles

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
Sturgis, KY
So after seeing a pic I think she has scaly leg also. Anyway. I was cleaning the coop today and found a round worm in a poop! Freaking out, I searched all here, went out and got some wazine 17 for the morning. I keep thinking about that 1 hen. I went out and caught her. Wasn't that hard... But she ran awhile for a while. Caught her and she didn't really care after that. Looked at her vent. Looks fine to me?? I'm new. Put her down and she didn't move. I started rubbing her. Then I noticed I could hear her breathing. I picked her up to hear better. I guess it was kind of raspy. Put her back down to go get my cage. Came back she hasn't moved. Put her in the cage and she moves kind of slow and doesn't fight at all. Went to catch her sister for comparison. Completely different. Seemed healthy. So what kind of mess do I have on my hands? Is it ok to keep get inside the cage but still inside the coop?

Her feet look puffy. How do they compare to the others' feet? Gout can cause swollen feet. I can't see well enough to see the raised scales of leg mites, but here is a picture of leg mite damage:
blog_ln_38.jpg

Scaly leg mites

As far as her raspiness, I would watch her for more symptoms of respiratory disease, such as nasal and eye drainage, eye foam, cough, sneeze, or swelling around an eye or the face. She could have been scared when you were chasing her, and maybe had something in her throat causing the sound you heard. The best time to pick up or do anything to chickens is in the dark while they are roosting and asleep. For leg mites, I would wash the legs in soapy water, and very gently brush the scales with an old toothbrush, Dry the legs and apply vaseline or vegetable oil to the legs rubbing it in under the scales which will suffocate the mites. Do this once a week.The coop should also be cleaned out. Here is some info on gout: http://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-i.../avian-gout-causes-treatment-t1246/165-p0.htm

image_Page_094_Image_0004.jpg

Gout

Last edited:
It's hard to tell from your picture weather it's scaly leg or not, I have a few chickens with it at the moment and I must admit the look and texture of it varies completely from bird to bird, it doesn't always appear as lifted scales on the leg. One of my girls has relatively smooth legs and coral like lumps on her which is scaly leg. I started off treating her legs by bathing them in warm water with baby shampoo in, after soaking her legs for a couple of mins I gently scrubbed her legs with a small hand brush (toothbrush would work too) this was to clean her from any dirt and to soften the scales. After drying the legs i applied a thick layer of Vaseline making sure to get it in all the gaps and cracked areas, this is to suffocate the scaly leg mite, repeat every 3-4 days to stop the scaly leg egg cycle and you should start to see some results. Alternatively, you could use vegetable oil and paint it onto the legs/or spray onto the legs with a spray bottle. Or sudo cream apparently works. Tomorrow will be the 4th time of smothering my hens legs in Vaseline and I've started to see improvements already, I don't feel it's necessary to repeat washing the legs with baby shampoo unless you feel the legs are very dirty :) if you're in doubt it's scaly leg I would look into Gout.

As for the raspiness you're hearing it could well have been from being flustered from running around like stated above, put a clove of garlic in her water and pierce it several times, leave a garlic clove in her water for one week out of every month, or you could use Apple cider vinegar! This helps to create an unsuitable habitat inside your hen for worms and also does the bird good by drinking it so no harm done :) also it looks like your girl is going through a moult which means her immune system is going to be crappy at the moment, meaning she is more likely to catch/suffer from other illnesses, it's important if she is moulting that stress is kept to a minimum unless it really can't be avoided. If she is moulting maybe invest in some poultry spice which will give her a bit of a boost

Back
Top Bottom