WORMS what do I use

ChickNanny13

Enabler
10 Years
Jun 23, 2013
The Big Island/Hawaii
Just found a bunch of these "long, thin, white strings" in a poop, assuming they're some kind of worm. I have 5 hens (13 months) & don't know who pooped these. What do I use to get rid of these? Would have to worm all since I don't know who.

Last edited:
Those appear to be roundworms.
Here is a link to some common wormers, so you can look to see what your feed/supply store carries. Wormers start on page 3 : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...fungals-coccidiostats-and-wormers-preliminary
Wazine also works for roundworms, but that looks like the bird is probably carrying a pretty heavy load of worms and wazine will kill them all at once, which could overwhelm the birds system. Also Wazine is mixed in the water, not direct dose, so you have to assume they got enough. Direct dose you know they got the correct amount. I would not use wazine as a 1st time wormer. Since you have never wormed before, I would use one of the others listed in the link. They kill slower and do not run as much risk of overwhelming the bird. You will need to do two doses 10 days apart. Recommended egg withdrawl is from the 1st dose until 14 days after the 2nd dose (specific dose will depend on which med you get, you can find the dosages on this forum with a search). I would worm them all, as the worm eggs are shed in the droppings, even when you don't see the worms. The worm eggs are now in the environment, and they have all been exposed. You will likely have a recurrence because of this, so a good idea to get them on a regular schedule of worming. Worm eggs can survive in the soil for a long time. How often will be determined by the worm load in your environment. Every 6 months may be enough, you will have to see. If you have a vet that will do a fecal float test, you can check a few months down the road to see if any are showing up in the droppings again.

Those appear to be roundworms.
Here is a link to some common wormers, so you can look to see what your feed/supply store carries. Wormers start on page 3 : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...fungals-coccidiostats-and-wormers-preliminary
Wazine also works for roundworms, but that looks like the bird is probably carrying a pretty heavy load of worms and wazine will kill them all at once, which could overwhelm the birds system. Also Wazine is mixed in the water, not direct dose, so you have to assume they got enough. Direct dose you know they got the correct amount. I would not use wazine as a 1st time wormer. Since you have never wormed before, I would use one of the others listed in the link. They kill slower and do not run as much risk of overwhelming the bird. You will need to do two doses 10 days apart. Recommended egg withdrawl is from the 1st dose until 14 days after the 2nd dose (specific dose will depend on which med you get, you can find the dosages on this forum with a search). I would worm them all, as the worm eggs are shed in the droppings, even when you don't see the worms. The worm eggs are now in the environment, and they have all been exposed. You will likely have a recurrence because of this, so a good idea to get them on a regular schedule of worming. Worm eggs can survive in the soil for a long time. How often will be determined by the worm load in your environment. Every 6 months may be enough, you will have to see. If you have a vet that will do a fecal float test, you can check a few months down the road to see if any are showing up in the droppings again.

THANK YOU! Went to the feed store, was given Wazine to use but clerk didn't know how long to dose the birds. These are the same "round" worms that dogs get? I have a dog but the hens are confined to their run. Will be looking into treating the ground, I could be tracking it all over the yard, yuck. Have a friend that's experienced with chickens, she says she has a "herbal" treatment but I want INSTANT KILL
1f621.png
How would they have gotten it? Thought I was keeping their environment clean but guess not enough
1f61e.png

Again thank you for the link.

These threads might be a little helpful:
How much to dose? Wazine 17 for worms
Round worms I have only 5 hens how much Wazine 17 should I use?

and this one is kind of simple- answers a couple of other questions
Round worms I have only 5 hens how much Wazine 17 should I use?

i hope you find what you are looking for.

- DonutCream

Thank you for the links....Answered my questions, glad to know my dog is "safe". Taking coach723 advice and going with Valbazen, thank goodness I have only 5, ha ha

Back
Top Bottom