Worms? What Type of Wormer to use?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPeep, Aug 25, 2014.

  1. ChickenPeep

    ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

    May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I got home today to my 3 silkie hens to find a red-ish dropping with stringy things in it. I couldn't tell for sure if they were worms or just a strange poop. I couldn't take a picture of it because I didn't find my camera in time. My girls seem fine, if anything they might be a slight bit lethargic (but not noticeably). I've seen the poop chart and I think that what I saw was probably worms, but I could be wrong.
    I was wondering, what type of de-wormer should I buy? I won't be able to buy anything over $10-$11, and the only store I have access to find it is Tractor Supply. These are the two I had in mind, but what do you think?


  2. Suzie

    Suzie Crowing

    Jul 9, 2009
    I would suggest Safeguard...it may be that what you saw was intestinal lining...if they are lethargic it may have been cocciodis...hard to tell without seeing the poop...

    I would de-worm them, an infestation will make them lethargic...
  3. Joshw

    Joshw In the Brooder

    Aug 24, 2014
    I use Wazine 17. You can buy a pint bottle at tractor supply for around $10. You just mix a little in their water.
    The exact dose depends on how many chickens. The bottle will last a long time, unless you have a lot
    of chickens. It has worked very well for me, and is very easy to dose all your birds at once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: