Worms

It is not just chickens that can get fly strike. Check your dogs, especially if long, dense fur. Several years ago we lost a dog real quick this way. We did not even know anything was wrong until too late. Vet said it was probably a simple scratch that started it.

This did go really fast. I had a hard time nailing down the diagnosis. I was so sure it was worms at first. Whorp Rock was very helpful. I'll keep an eye on all my animals from now on. Thanks

This did go really fast. I had a hard time nailing down the diagnosis. I was so sure it was worms at first. Whorp Rock was very helpful. I'll keep an eye on all my animals from now on. Thanks

It can go really fast.
You did well!
I do hope she recovers, she is getting very good care.

First time I saw a post on something similar, I though, ugggh...don't want that. I try to keep a watch on everyone's bum, but you can miss things, so don't beat yourself up. I have a couple of girls who don't mind being handled, so they are pretty easy to check. I try to look everyone over a couple of times a week (small flock is easier). I check for lice/mites, legs/feet for any signs of bumblefoot and scaly leg mites and I look through the fluffy bums, for any signs of trouble. For the flighty girls and the rooster I usually wait until they go to bed, then walk in the coop at night, take a flashlight and check the rear ends and the legs while they are in the roost. That way I'm not chasing a chicken all over the place. If someone needs attention I can then take them from the roost. But of course, I can miss things, looking through all that fluff, problems can hide very easily. Just my tip for the day
smile.png

I do agree, it isn't always the poo that causes the Flystrike, it could be from just a plucked out feather, any tiny opening in the skin creates an opportunity for it to happen.

Buffy is still with us. In the house. Two doses of sulphur med daily and antibiotic ointment on the new skin. She's not eating or drinking much but she has something everyday. She's getting slightly more active. Still waiting for the large dead skin to drop off.
Just thought I'd keep you posted.

Buffy is still with us. In the house. Two doses of sulphur med daily and antibiotic ointment on the new skin. She's not eating or drinking much but she has something everyday. She's getting slightly more active. Still waiting for the large dead skin to drop off.
Just thought I'd keep you posted.

Thanks for the update!
I hope she continues to improve. Please do keep us posted
smile.png

Have you tried some wet feed? Mix some of her feed with a little water, then you can add a few other things that she may like (tuna, egg, a little chopped apple?).

Mine think they will just die if they don't get some wet feed everyday - they think it is the most awesome "treat" they can get - I won't tell them it's just their regular food with a little bit of fruit/veggies mixed in
wink.png

I'm new here, this is my first post.
frow.gif
I'm so happy Buffy is better! We have several Buffs. The first one we got several years ago is named Buffy too!
big_smile.png
Glad your granddaughter, you and Buffy kept fighting!

New issue with Buffy. I've been giving her the antibiotic for weeks now. Her eating is sporadic but recently she seemed quite a bit hungrier. She had some far more normal droppings too. Then she stopped eating. When I tipped her over to put ointment on her wound clear liquid poured out of her mouth. I put some chopped cucumber out for her and she ate some. I give her that because doesn't drink much. She eats something one day and then won't the next. This sure has been a long haul. I hate to bother her too much. She's pretty still most of the day and yet the wound looks better. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom