Worms

Valbazen is a good Dewormer and will kill all worms.I dont know why people use dewomers when there chickens don't have it.Its a waist of money and you are putting a whole bunch of chemicals in there body that isn't good for them.Also the worms will become immune to it.I only worm when they have it
Once chickens have a bad infestation of Capillary worms, it is already too late in most cases. They do a LOT of damage, and usually kill, even after you deworm for them.. And signs are not obvious at first. That is why preventative deworming is necessary, especially if your flock free-ranges. Capillary worms and their eggs are present in soil, earthworms, everything. They are extremely hard to get rid of. That is why there is nothing wrong with periodic preventive deworming, and I have checked with several sources including our vet who verify this. . You can always check with a fecal float if you want to be sure.

Last edited:
I have tryed every thing to get some weight back on my birds silkies,they eat good there just skin and bones..IVE seen worms.and me to don't like giving birds meds.thanks for the info. You have a Happy New Year
If you don't deworm your birds, you will lose them. Guaranteed, if they already look as you describe. Garlic might help as a preventative, but it can be toxic in large quantities.

I would use Valbazen or Safeguard, since those wormers kill a wide variety of worms and are usually very effective. It is best to be sure your birds have worms before you worm them (by doing a fecal float yourself or having a vet do a fecal float), but if that isn't possible, simply having a regular worming schedule (1-2 times per year) is fine, too.

iSchoelaces2191, all of the wormers I know of have a withdrawal period during which time you shouldn't eat the eggs. Would it kill you if you did eat them? Probably not. It is safer to just discard the eggs for the correct time period, though. This period can range from 48 hours to 14 days after discontinuing use of the wormer.
Strike 3 only has a withdrawal period for eating meat, not eggs. According to the information that comes with it. As far as other dewormers, we deworm twice over ten days, then withdraw consumption of eggs for two and a half weeks, just to be safe.

Strike 3 only has a withdrawal period for eating meat, not eggs. According to the information that comes with it. As far as other dewormers, we deworm twice over ten days, then withdraw consumption of eggs for two and a half weeks, just to be safe.
Okay, good to know.
smile.png

Hello and welcome.  We use Levamisole (Levasole) for our flock because it is large and individual birds are hard to catch.  If yours are easy to catch, Safeguard or Valbazen are good choices. As of the first of the year, (2017) you will need a prescription from a vet for some of the dewormers.  I like Strike III to use as an alternate in deworming, but it will not be available without prescription as of January 1.  Whatever you use, it should be a broad spectrum dewormer. Worms can do a lot of damage,  and also kill,. so it is important to deworm regularly. 

The only wormer that requires a prescription is Strike III, and that's because it contains the antibiotic hygromycin b.

-Kathy

thanks Kathy. Our vet has been agreeable to giving us a scrip for it, if we want it. In the meantime, we stocked up. I like to alternate it with Levasole, to help prevent development of resistance.

Two peafowl people have confirmed that Valbazen at the rate of 7.5 ml per gallon of drinking water for one day will treat large roundworms.

-Kathy

Valbazen is a good Dewormer and will kill all worms.I dont know why people use dewomers when there chickens don't have it.Its a waist of money and you are putting a whole bunch of chemicals in there body that isn't good for them.Also the worms will become immune to it.I only worm when they have it
I like your idea.

Used properly it's unlikely that the worms in your flock will become resistant to wormers.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom