Worms?

Jul 24, 2019
Boerne TX
Hey guys. I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that my girls are on the skinny side. They get fermented feed, about a cup each a day. They are Easter egger pullets, but they are pretty big and will hopefully start laying soon. I can’t see any worms in their poop. If I pick them up I can feel their chest very clearly, they don’t have a lot of breast meat at all. They are super active, and get kitchen scraps. They don’t free range, but get about an hour of time outside every day. Is it just the heat? There is no way for rodents to eat their food because they are in a closed trailer with mesh vents temporarily.

Hey guys. I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that my girls are on the skinny side. They get fermented feed, about a cup each a day. They are Easter egger pullets, but they are pretty big and will hopefully start laying soon. I can’t see any worms in their poop. If I pick them up I can feel their chest very clearly, they don’t have a lot of breast meat at all. They are super active, and get kitchen scraps. They don’t free range, but get about an hour of time outside every day. Is it just the heat? There is no way for rodents to eat their food because they are in a closed trailer with mesh vents temporarily.
Worms? Absolutely, Have you checked the way they eat? did it change? how about water? di you notice anything on the odd side? better be sure...

They don’t seem any different. They eat all of their food, and always have clean water. Do you really think I’m not feeding enough?
They should be able to eat as much as they want during daylight hours. There is no need to restrict feed. Are they splitting a cup of FF between all of the birds or a cup each?? How many birds total? Each bird should be eating about .20- .25 # per day. With unlimited free range on lush pasture... my birds went as low as .18# of feed per day... that was 20% protein flock raiser with oyster shell on the side for layers. Is you FF made with layer or what type of feed? What sort of kitchen scraps? It's possible they are getting enough calories, but not sure about nutrients.. depending on which feed and what type of scraps. Sounds like they *MAY* need more protein or rather the amino acids it contains.

Only large round worms and tape worms will ever be seen in droppings. All others will stay inside the intestines and only their microscopic oocysts (eggs) will pass in the droppings, never to be seen by the human eye. Best way to know the TRUTH is by getting a group fecal float done by a vet or mail in service... and make sure you use the right medication IF needed.

1582645511070.png

1582645528632.png

I wouldn't expect heat to be effecting birds in N. California in February.

Hope this helps. :fl

Alright, thanks! Three pullets on an organic grower, a cup each. I will give them more feed. Kitchen scraps include soggy greens, leftover meat scraps, fruits, not things like bred and crackers. Free ranging is not an option right now unfortunately, but do get time out in the grass.

Alright, thanks! Three pullets on an organic grower, a cup each. I will give them more feed. Kitchen scraps include soggy greens, leftover meat scraps, fruits, not things like bred and crackers. Free ranging is not an option right now unfortunately, but do get time out in the grass.
That doesn't sound too off the hook. If they are cleaning up their FF add a little more until there's just a hint left at the end of the day and then cut back that hint. ... Or just add some dry feed free choice on the side and collect it nightly.

Honestly I did only FF only in addition to pasture for 2+ years for a flock of 82+ and saw zero long term savings or difference in the health of my flock but spent a LOT of time and effort doing it. I think it can help a bird that needs aid or is under the weather but not really change much in a healthy flock. It was fun to see it bubble and the layers and a fun experiment, I even tried fermenting my dog feed... just take my word & don't, it smelled awful. :sick

Well, my birds should be on lock down right now to. The hawks are horrendous this time of year and they've been hitting my bantam wheaties (Ameraucana) pretty hard, Mini pig thwarted it once with a hen narrowly escaping. And another hen JUST evaded a full on dive right in front of me. :barnie Free range is nice... living is nicer!

Oh ya... pullets can be a bit bony and EE aren't the biggest in my experience. So get familiar with what you feel regularly, find out what YOUR worm load is for real, and generally keep paying attention like you are... that's how you catch things. :thumbsup

Thanks for the help. I’ve noticed a difference in my birds for sure. They’ve gotten bigger faster, and have way more energy. It only takes me about another two minutes a day to back slop it, and it expands a lot. Yea, they definitely aren’t as big as some! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom