Worms

chickiemama27

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Good evening! Last year we had round worms in a couple of our hens (meaning all). We treated them when we saw the worms and then retreated them several months later because our ground is often wet and warm. It's the perfect way to continue to the cycle. I've been scrolling through some threads on this but wondering what the recommendation are when treating with Fenbendazole 5X? We have 7, 10 week old babies who we have to consider. But we definitely need to worm. We're beginning to notice our hens feathers starting to break off and look disheveled. That happened the last time we knew we had worms. Also curious if that's a typical "symptom". Any info you want to share, we'd certainly love to hear! We've had chickens for 5 years and I've learned that we're always learning.

Finally, does anyone use DE as a preventative?

Thank you! :)

Finally, does anyone use DE as a preventative?
Yes, lots of people. That doesn't mean it works. It doesn't.

Broken feathers are not a symptom of worms. They are a symptom of feather wear (or poor diet) and this is the time of year for molting so the feathers are at their "end of life" so to speak.

Diarrhea with bubbles in it is a sign of worms. If you have conditions conducive to worm population explosions in your birds, you can deworm them during the warm season about every 3 months using piperazine, fenbendazole or flubendazole. If you want to know what kind of load they are carrying, if any, take a mixed fecal sample to your vet for a float.

I use Valbazen to worm birds, and you only worm each bird twice.
You can start worming at 5 weeks old IF chicks have been on soil. Valbazen dosage is 1/4ml for 5 week old chicks given orally using a syringe without a needle. Then redose in 10 days. For 5lb birds 1/2ml, heavy birds increase to 3/4ml or 1ml.

To break the worms lifecycle, you'll have worm frequently due to worm eggs in feces from previous worm infections contaminating your soil. Scoop feces often and remove feces from coops daily.
You dont need to take a fecal sample to a vet since Safeguard and Valbazen are broad spectrum wormers and will wipe out all worms except tapeworms.
DE is useless.

Yes, lots of people. That doesn't mean it works. It doesn't.

Broken feathers are not a symptom of worms. They are a symptom of feather wear (or poor diet) and this is the time of year for molting so the feathers are at their "end of life" so to speak.

Diarrhea with bubbles in it is a sign of worms. If you have conditions conducive to worm population explosions in your birds, you can deworm them during the warm season about every 3 months using piperazine, fenbendazole or flubendazole. If you want to know what kind of load they are carrying, if any, take a mixed fecal sample to your vet for a float.
Thank you! So the diatomaceous earth would not help to sprinkle in their run to help kill parasites?

You can start worming at 5 weeks old IF chicks have been on soil. Valbazen dosage is 1/4ml for 5 week old chicks given orally using a syringe without a needle. Then redose in 10 days. For 5lb birds 1/2ml, heavy birds increase to 3/4ml or 1ml.

To break the worms lifecycle, you'll have worm frequently due to worm eggs in feces from previous worm infections contaminating your soil. Scoop feces often and remove feces from coops daily.
You dont need to take a fecal sample to a vet since Safeguard and Valbazen are broad spectrum wormers and will wipe out all worms except tapeworms.
DE is useless.
When you say “break the worm cycle”, does that mean it can be broken and eliminated? And how frequently do you recommend? Is there a way to decontaminate the soul? Do the worm eggs die during the winter months due to cold temps/freezing? We live in Indiana.

Thank you!

DE is useless.
Just started using this….

Attachments

• 8983D944-D729-4499-9010-B1C47A6E2879.jpeg
    8983D944-D729-4499-9010-B1C47A6E2879.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 5
Thank you! So the diatomaceous earth would not help to sprinkle in their run to help kill parasites?
No. It may kill some bugs but it is not going to be a good preventive for worms. The best thing you can do is keep everything as dry as possible. Exposure to UV light also will kill worm eggs.

Just started using this….
That works.

How often you worm birds depends on your soil conditions. Warm moist/wet soil will require frequent wormings. Cooler, dry, sandy, rocky soil may only require a few wormings a year, it just depends.

Worm eggs can survive in soil for several years, even in frozen soil. I use sand in my pens and coops. Sand deters parasites, dries quicker than dirt, doesnt create nasty mudpuddles that chickens love to drink, and sand doesnt wash away like soil.
Keeping everything as dry as possible helps prevent birds from getting worms.

That works.

How often you worm birds depends on your soil conditions. Warm moist/wet soil will require frequent wormings. Cooler, dry, sandy, rocky soil may only require a few wormings a year, it just depends.

Worm eggs can survive in soil for several years, even in frozen soil. I use sand in my pens and coops. Sand deters parasites, dries quicker than dirt, doesnt create nasty mudpuddles that chickens love to drink, and sand doesnt wash away like soil.
Keeping everything as dry as possible helps prevent birds from getting worms.
Great advice! We haven’t tried that before. What about wood chips in the run area?

I kind of feel like parasites are inevitable where we are. We’re on acreage and of course have possums, raccoons, deer, coyotes, foxes, etc. All carry it. 😔

Back
Top Bottom