Worms!

Jess718

Chirping
Mar 23, 2022
Hi- I read some of the forums on worms but I’m still stressed and have some questions. I went to clean the poop board today and under where Penny roosts I saw diarrhea and worms in the poop. They looked black to me but all mixed in with the poop so hard to tell - maybe a half inch. A while clump of them. So gross. Then I found her and sure enough she diarrhea on her feathers under her vent. Nothing stuck to her vent. She acting normally - eating. And drinking etc.

Do I treat just her or all nine girls?

Where do I get dewormer?

Do I separate her?

Does anyone know what these worms were or will any dewormer do?

Do I chuck any eggs right now??

What other practical things can I do to help?

Thank you- I just read a post about that and one that started with a V but I can’t find it anywhere in tractor supply near me.

Don’t make fun lol but can worms get into the eggs?

I didn’t get a picture no- I just panicked and got everything into the bag I was loading it into lololol.

Thank you- I just read a post about that and one that started with a V but I can’t find it anywhere in tractor supply near me.

I didn’t get a picture no- I just panicked and got everything into the bag I was loading it into lololol.
It happens but it's very, very unlikely.
Valbezen?

I don't think they sell this one at TSC.
https://www.jefferspet.com/valbazen-oral-suspension-500ml-w-cap/p

I'm wondering if you saw maggots.
Poopy butt doesn't actually mean the bird has worms.

Maggots are usually white though right and I feel like maggots are plumper than these were. They were very wormlike. Is one dewormer better than the other. I saw mixed things about eating eggs while using the valbazen. Also this is the first time in a year and a half I’ve seen worms so I’m hoping I don’t have to deworm regularly?

Maggots are usually white though right and I feel like maggots are plumper than these were. They were very wormlike. Is one dewormer better than the other. I saw mixed things about eating eggs while using the valbazen. Also this is the first time in a year and a half I’ve seen worms so I’m hoping I don’t have to deworm regularly?
I use Valbazen monthly in my birds and have been for years, and we eat the eggs...still here typing. However, if you believe that you or a family member might have a reaction to Albendazole, then toss the eggs in the garbage for 2 weeks after the last dosing.
BTW, Albendazole is also used in humans as a wormer.

In order to break the worms lifecycle, you may have to set up a routine worming program.
Consider worming your birds once every 3 or 4 months and see how it works out for your birds.

I can get the safe guard at tractor supply tomorrow so I might just pick that up - after the five days of giving it to them do I have to retreat? Is that the benefit of the valbazen with one dose?

Also, I’ll go out tomorrow morning and check her droppings. But wouldn’t that be a pretty big coincidence that she has the loose stool and the worms in the poo. It has been hot and moist and I think I need more coop ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom