Worms

Chickiebabyfluff

Yappette in Training
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
NorthEastern Ohio
How ofter should you treat for worms? Should you treat even if you see no evidence of them? Is it safe to use apple cider vineager everyday in their water

Last edited:
You can deworm as a precaution every 6 months.
Sometimes chickens will have worms and there will be no sign of it in their droppings.
Use ACV for one week per month. I.e. give them ACV water for 7 days, clean water for 21 days, ACV water for 7 days etc.

You can deworm as a precaution every 6 months.
Sometimes chickens will have worms and there will be no sign of it in their droppings.
Use ACV for one week per month. I.e. give them ACV water for 7 days, clean water for 21 days, ACV water for 7 days etc.
Sumi you are my newest most bestest friend!!! Thank you for the info! What can i use for the precaution every 6 months?

Valbazen or Safeguard are both very good. There is a withdrawal period, usually 14 days, during which it's up to you if you want to eat the eggs or not, or toss them. Just don't try to incubate them! It has a bad effect on the embryo development.

Maybe I'm just not 'in the know' but I've been raising chickens - 7 different breeds - for the last three years and I have NEVER ONCE
WORMED THEM. My birds ( average number - all ages from chicks, pullets, to adults - 80 birds at one time ).

Currently have 90 birds,50 are 10 month old pullets and cockerels I hatched out and raised and 41 are ten week old pullets I've raised since day old - used to have a flock of 50 Barred Rocks that I sold at two years of age - NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH WORMS.

My birds droppings are fine, eggs are huge and plentiful - even w/o any light in their coop in winter - they are active and appear extremely
healthy.

I believe that infestation can happen no matter what kind of care or how good it is but I do believe in prevention of disease and problems by
heading it off and increasing the bird's inherent immune capacity by feeding top quality layer with pre and pro biotics, I do DAILY ACV in their
waterers - I begin this with day olds and continue it as long as I have them in my care. I supplement their 'winter' diet with hydrated alfalfa cubes,
premium scratch with black oil sunflower to which I add organic golden flax seed.

I also raise pumpkins and for months the flock gets a steady supplemental 'feast' of whole pumpkins which they devour like it's candy! Pumpkin
seed contains a 'natural' worming agent as well as the beneficial carotene.

Are there others out there who don't worm their flock?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom