Wormy worms and dogs

carternm31

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2015
Couple of questions.

I quarantined and de-wormed a hen (and her sister) recently because I was at my wits end with what was wrong with her. By some kind of weird coincidence two days after I wormed her a completely different chicken pooped out a roundworm in my garage. So I confined and wormed the entire flock today (with Wazine 17 if anyone is interested) then this afternoon the sister of the sick hen has been pooping out dead roundworms, I have found 4 so far (she is a small polish) I didn't even know she had worms! no symptoms. But glad I did worm her. Her sick sister hasn't pooped at all today from what I can tell and is slowly wasting away (I am waiting on the vet to get back to me!)

So my question is this.... If I wormed her on Monday and the dead worms came out today, thats 5 days before the worms were expelled. So if my other hens also have worms, should I keep them confined for a further 5 days? The only reason I have them confined is because they usually free range but my dogs eat the chicken poop. And I really don't like the thought of them eating all these dead worms! (I de-wormed my dogs today aswell) but I am thinking if the poop worms are already dead, would they actually have any effect on my dogs?

Don't get me wrong I really don't like the thought of the dogs gobbling up dead worms, but I also hate seeing the flock giving me the guilt trip for being shut in their run.

Back
Top Bottom