Worried about a new roo down the street...

pips&peeps :

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...m/News/Images/kfc%20bucket%20of%20chicken.gif

yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

I try to respect them as much as I can
wink.png
Even though they did steal my duck a few years back... Does sound very good though!
big_smile.png

I would still try to go communicate with the neighbors. Maybe you have a friend who could translate? Or maybe they know just enough English or you know just enough of their language to make it work. I'm of the opinion that it's always better to try to head off a problem as well as you can. Once the roosters have gotten in a fight, you'll have to deal with the neighbors anyway.

Tough situation. Hopefully the chickens will stay separate, but you never know.

Wish I had an easier solution for you.

"Hi pleased to meet you! I noticed you have a really handsome new roo that likes to wander around. I've seen some stray dogs around here, would you like me to help you fix his enclosure so he stays safely at home?"

I would like to talk with them but they really seem to not care for their chickens. I believe they probably go to one of the auctions around here and just buy their birds. From when they stole my duck they do not speak or understand any english at all and I don't know any spanish
hmm.png

Any local laws on having to keep your chickens on your own property and/or limiting the number of roos? I would report the free ranging roos to the city if speaking with the neighbors was not an option.If they had stolen one of my flock I would probably go the law route anyway once I made sure my own flock was within the required local law/code restrictions.

Getting the law involved may get you more involved than you want to be. Find someone who speaks Spanish and take them with you.

Or if you can't find someone, give them a note that says this:
"E notado que su gallo nuevo no queda cerca de su propio casa. Tengo miedo que el gallo mio lo va a matar si vene a mi casa. Favor de aseguarlo en su casa."

My Spanish isn't perfect, but the above generally says: "I have noticed that your new rooster doesn't stay close to his own house. I am afraid that my rooster will kill him if he comes to my house. Please secure him at his own house."

grab the roo and clip his wings, they stole your duck you can steal a few feathers;)

Ouch. Yeah, I'd go with note. Go to Google, language tools, or ask at the library, clinic etc. A LOT of places have bilingual staff nowadays.

Even better would be if it was from more than one neighbor, not just focusing on you. Since they've already hurt you once, why try and bring their wrath if something does happen to their roo... IE if hit by a car, killed by a dog/cat/coon/possum/fox/etc they may immediately think of you and your 'threat'

Better to make it a community note, perhaps just warning of the dangers of cars, loose dogs, list of other local predators, not to mention the animal control people... with a "Just a head's up from your friendly neighbors' kind of tone... and perhaps an apology for not saying anything sooner... due to the language gap? Maybe throw in the offer to help secure their property using THEIR supplies. Have any who agree with what it says (in English AND Spanish) sign it, date it, make copies for each person who signed it and that neighbor (never know when you might need it) and then send it through the post, with delivery receipt.... and save the receipt.

That way, should anything happen you and all your neighbors can prove conclusively that you did everything you could to prevent a disaster.

Could even make it VERY vague and just mention ALL pets/animals, not specifically chickens. Dogs have been hurt by sticking their nose in another dog's yard before, as have cat's... not to mention the risk of meeting Pepe Le Pew... eww. Do it in English and Spanish and tack one on every door. Hmm... yeah, then no one can say they were 'targeted' but they also can't say they weren't informed of the risks of letting their 'pets' run free in this particular area... not that it's your job to tell them, just a nice thing to do.

Before we moved we had a neighbor with chickens... or at least with a rooster, since the guy would come down to our house and crow day and night. Code enforcement didn't do doodly, since they have X DAYS to respond to calls of loose animals... and too many reports to respond to. *sigh*

Fence wise... from one direction it may mean flying over five fences... but our house for instance... if our neighbor five houses down had a roo, he'd just have to get over his fence, then strut down the 4 front yards between us, and then pop over my fence... two fences total... not near as much effort... still, I'd vote for clipping if you can catch him, and dinner if he actually makes it into your yard. People who let their pets wander like that really don't care all that much, and quite possibly wouldn't have any way of proving that ANY pet was actually theirs... ie papers, pictures, tags as those things are so much trouble.

The neighbors caddy-corner to me have two roosters, and I guess the Bantam wants my Bantam hens or something. He flew over my fence 7 times total, I tried to catch him to clip his wings and toss him back over, but he wouldn't let me catch him.

So I used my German Shepherd on a leash to run him off, making it "dangerous and life threatening" for him to visit. My girl Ricca has a command for "Stranger" and I used it directed at the stray rooster in the yard, so she gave her full attention and guard dog display as we walked slowly towards him. About 30 feet away he realized his error. I've never seen a chicken run so fast! When I ran him off, he'd go 10 feet and crow, being a little butthead. With Ricca, he ran, flew the fence, and kept on running back to his house, and hasn't been back since.

Back
Top Bottom