Worried about air cells in shipped eggs. (Added pics)

Tricorn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 15, 2011
Please excuse the terrible MS Paint job.

109376_eggsample.png

The top egg is what my shipped eggs looked like at 6 days along. I have one of my own eggs in the bator as a control, and at day 6 the air cell looked like the bottom egg.

How worried should I be about hatching problems? Also, do my aircells seem larger then they should be? Humidity is at 40%.

Last edited:
Quote:
WOW like your pics, wish I could do that.
I have had my shipped eggs look like that and some have hatched, I would vote for just keeping them in their and
fl.gif

Ayda
Thinking air cells look ok,but am fairly new at this also.

Ok, snuck them out of the incubator again... (Bad me!)

109376_eggsample2.jpg

Top pic is un-manhandled egg at 11 days,
The bottom pic is of a shipped egg. It's like the bottom (Atached to side of egg) of the air cell is 'solid' but at the top it's... Wiggly.

@Wyogirl: Glad to hear there's a chance! Out of 8 eggs I recieved 1 was infertile, and 3 were scrambled by the post. All of the aircells were damaged.
sad.png

Mine also look like the last pics, the babies are growing and nice veining I will try to get a photo later. I'm no good a pic's like that.

I too had several like that in my last hatch. I had resolved myself that they probably wouldn't make it...but they all did!!! Good luck!

I have candled eggs from broody hens and the are ALL exactly like the top egg. Hens don't lay little end up. When I store eggs, the air sack is the same as the bottom egg. Due to how I store them (little end up). I can't tell any difference in the hatch rate.

Your air cells look better than some I've had in shipped eggs that have gone on to hatch just fine
big_smile.png

Not a guarantee that these ones will hatch of course, but if they don't, I'd say it won't necessarily be due to the wonky air cells...

Personally, what I find with shipped eggs is a bigger percentage of blood rings and eggs that just never develop in the first place. The ones that make it as far as lockdown fully developed tend to have as good a hatch rate as my own eggs. That bottom pic looks fairly normal to me. Is that a day 6/7 photo? If so, I think they're looking good so far...

Back
Top Bottom