Worried about day olds

Emmet Mcknight

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
Derry, Ireland
I had 8 Pekin bantams hatch at the weekend, 4 on Sunday and 4 Sunday night / Monday morning, I put all 8 into the brooder on Monday evening but noticed the 3 where not as active as the others after a couple of hours in the brooder, they seemed to be lying flat on their belly and not standing, the can lift there heads and do move but only around in circles on there bum, I put these 3 back into the incubator as the others where climbing over them and knocking them about. They have been back in the incubator over night and still seem the same today after 12 hrs, these chicks are hatched approximately 26hrs, could it be they just haven't got the hang of standing up yet? The others that hatched 16-18hrs earlier are fine and very lively but these 3 just want to lay down and sleep unless I disturb them then they go round in circles on their bum. Please help.....

One is on his feet and had some sugar water so he's back in the brooder, the other two have had some sugar water and seem a little stronger than they were this morning but still can't stand. I'm hoping they just need to learn to use there legs but here's to hoping........

OK, thinking this might be a case of splayed or weak legs... although my incubator has a mesh floor.... my 3 chicks were behaving the same as this little fellow in the video

Two of them are now standing and walking although not as convincing as the others, one is still flat and can not stand at all. I have put little splints on them like the video only I didn't use a straw, instead i wrapped the little rubber band in a piece of cotton wool and put some tape around that.

What about feeding now though? The little guys with the splints aren't very mobile so I'm not sure they will go to the chick crumb and water with the others. My heads pickled!!!!!!!!

sounds like your making headway. Got my first chicks in the maik in July. Luckily didnt have any problems. Got my first eggs this week. I am not much help, but guess time will tell. I would keep checking on them regularly to see if they eat and drink. If not, then put them next to the food and water to see if they attempt. Best of luck

2 guys in the brooder over a day now and you couldn't tell they had any issues, walking, running, feeding, drinking! The other guy is still in the incubator, made him a chick chair to keep the legs in position, food and water in front of him which he can reach but not sure if he's eating anything (just haven't seen him eat) although he is very strong and holds his head up. Time will tell.......

Back
Top Bottom