Worried about hen

Rainbowdahling

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
Kentucky
Morning all,

One of my hens, Sylvie, has been acting weird. She's a Silver Laced Wyandotte, will be 2 in August. I have 14 other hens and 1 rooster, no other health issues that I can detect.

For starters, when they all molted in the fall, while everyone else's feathers grew back, she has continued to look like she's mid-molt this entire time.

I noticed yesterday that her comb is very pale, and it looks the same this morning. She was out in the run yesterday afternoon, but just looked off, not behaving like everyone else. In the evening she was laying on the coop floor next to the food bin. This morning she's in the run, but hiding under the little tykes playset that's in there.

They eat Nature's Best Organic Chick Stater. Usually get some sunflower seeds and kitchen scraps in the afternoons.

I took a few pictures, I noticed the full feathers she does have look twisted.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20240520_235811173.jpg
    PXL_20240520_235811173.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20240520_213535746.jpg
    PXL_20240520_213535746.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240520-174931.png
    Screenshot_20240520-174931.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Was she on the chick starter through molt? Is she eating and drinking now? How does her crop feel? What does her poop look like?

One of my Silver-laced Wyandottes had a similar thing happen. She didn't survive.

Was she on the chick starter through molt? Is she eating and drinking now? How does her crop feel? What does her poop look like?

One of my Silver-laced Wyandottes had a similar thing happen. She didn't survive.
Yes I've kept them on chick starter since I got them. I'm not sure whether she's eating/drinking, hard to tell when everyone else around. I got her to pick at a banana last night. She's always been skittish and generally runs away, I'll try to see if she'll let me close enough to feel her crop.

Yes I've kept them on chick starter since I got them. I'm not sure whether she's eating/drinking, hard to tell when everyone else around. I got her to pick at a banana last night. She's always been skittish and generally runs away, I'll try to see if she'll let me close enough to feel her crop.
The best times to feel their crops is in the late evenings and early mornings when it's dark enough that they're on the roosts. If you go out with a headlamp or flashlight they still can't see enough to get away from you. I do this almost daily. In the evenings the crop should be full and in the morning it should be empty.

The best times to feel their crops is in the late evenings and early mornings when it's dark enough that they're on the roosts. If you go out with a headlamp or flashlight they still can't see enough to get away from you. I do this almost daily. In the evenings the crop should be full and in the morning it should be empty.
Thank you, I'll try that today and see how it feels

The green usually means they're not eating enough. The yellow could mean an infection. By the looks of how her feathers came in she's not been well for a while. Do you have antibiotics on hand? Let's see what others have to say. @azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock
I do not have any antibiotics, where do I get them? Yes, I feel bad that it took me so long to realize that something is clearly wrong with her.

Back
Top Bottom