Stinky Spent Hen

WheelsUpRN

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
Hello all,

I have a spent Barred Rock who has recently started to be shunned by the rooster. I just figured he sensed she’s no longer “useful.” With this souring her golden years of retirement, I decided to rehome her and my other spent barred rock. Yesterday she started dropping a few feathers like she’s going to molt (molted in October or November) so I scooped her up to take a closer look. OMG, the smell! Any of you nurses might relate but it reminded me of dead gut. I noticed no evidence of pests, no droppings sticking to feathers. Her vent looked normal, crop empty (it was first thing in the morning). Could it be possible that she is no longer dust bathing/caring for herself. Is there an illness that just causes a foul smell? She has no other symptoms other than the rooster running her off of food whenever he is in close proximity to her eating. She doesn’t eat from the feeder until I let the flock out of the run.

Obviously, I’m not rehoming her until I am sure she doesn’t have something contagious. My gut is telling me, she is nearing her end. She is 6-8 years old. Thanks for your help.

Besides looking her over for any injuries or abscesses look into her beak for any yellow material, and smell her breath while feeling her crop. What do her vent and droppings look like?

She may have an abscess; have you examined her extra carefully? She may also have a vent disorder like gleet, which can make her vent look moist but stink like rot.
That will take a second person lol. She is hornery and hates being handled. I didn’t find anything when examining the squirmy old lady on my own but hubs had already left for work. I’ll take a second look with assistance.

Besides looking her over for any injuries or abscesses look into her beak for any yellow material, and smell her breath while feeling her crop. What do her vent and droppings look like?
I’ve noticed no unusual droppings in the flock. I will look in her mouth. Would that be signs of sour crop that I’d be looking for?

Her vent looked normal but it was a very quick glance. I definitely need a second person with her.

A bad odor when pressing on the crop might be a sign of sour crop, or yellow patches inside the beak could be canker. Coryza, a respiratory disease can also smell bad.

Back
Top Bottom