Worried about my chicken !

DopeChickens

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2018
Hello, I'm new here and somewhat new to raising chickens so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section.
I have a two year old Road Island Red named Gretel, recently I've become a little worried when I saw that her wings are open and she breathes through her beak; She has access to water and it doesn't seem hot where I keep her at. She is a huge part of the family so we'd be heartbroken if anything happens to her.
Any ideas?
(p.s. sorry for the bad photo quality)

Attachments

• KIMG1388 (1).JPG
    KIMG1388 (1).JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 19
  • KIMG1389.JPG
    KIMG1389.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 16
Is she doing this constantly? I would start by seperating her (to avoid her getting picked on, and giving her sav a chick... both electrolyte and probiotic, and watch her, is she laying?

Hello, I'm new here and somewhat new to raising chickens so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section.
I have a two year old Road Island Red named Gretel, recently I've become a little worried when I saw that her wings are open and she breathes through her beak; She has access to water and it doesn't seem hot where I keep her at. She is a huge part of the family so we'd be heartbroken if anything happens to her.
Any ideas?
How warm is it where you are?
Where in the world are you?
How old is she?
Sure seems like hot weather behavior....
...unless she also has other abnormal behavior like isolating, not eating and drinking, not laying, walking with tail down.

Any ideas?
Welcome to the flock!
How long has this been going on? Is she doing it constantly or just occasionally? Have there been any changes in her environment such as a new chicken added to the flock or one removed from the flock, or a different kind of feed or a different kind of bedding in the coop? Anything at all, even tiny changes that you think are insignificant can become a big deal to a chicken. Also, is her breathing loud, raspy, panting or just silent? How is her poo?

How old is she?
...unless she also has other abnormal behavior like isolating, not eating and drinking, not laying, walking with tail down.
Lol where in the world are you? I find that hilarious :lau

How old is she?
I know y'all know this, but don't forget, humidity would make it feel warmer than it actually is, too.

Any ideas?

Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last 30days?
When did she last lay an egg?
How does her crop feel?
Good questions by the previous posters - your location and weather information would be helpful too.

Check her crop, is it empty, full, hard, squishy, any sour breath?

The extended neck breathing reminds of respiratory illness-does she have any wheezing, rattling, sneezing or mucous from the nostrils?
Any molds or moldy feed?
Have you changed bedding or added anything different to the run like wood chips/bedding, etc.?
You mention it doesn't seem hot where you keep her - is she housed in coop/run - what is the ventilation like?

Separating her so you can monitor her closely is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom