WORRIED about my goat. shaking and odd fluid

I had a cow with the same symptoms. The vet came out and gave her a shot of lutalyse. The lutalyse caused the uterus to expel the pus and stuff. I don't remember if she gave her antibiotics also.

Definitely not a false pregnancy. Her brother our only boy was banded when he was young. I unfortunately couldn’t finish the entire round of shots. Work called for emergency duty prep I had no choice. But I never saw the mystery fluid since and she’s just as active and normal droppings. Eating and drink. But her skin has gotten so much worse. I don’t want to spray her down with anything in the snow but it’s all the way up her legs and starting to get to her chest. I can tell she’s uncomfortable and I feel terrible for her but I don’t know any alternative yet for her skin that doesn’t get her wet in this weather

Definitely not a false pregnancy. Her brother our only boy was banded when he was young. I unfortunately couldn’t finish the entire round of shots. Work called for emergency duty prep I had no choice. But I never saw the mystery fluid since and she’s just as active and normal droppings. Eating and drink. But her skin has gotten so much worse. I don’t want to spray her down with anything in the snow but it’s all the way up her legs and starting to get to her chest. I can tell she’s uncomfortable and I feel terrible for her but I don’t know any alternative yet for her skin that doesn’t get her wet in this weather
Try bluekote. I used to have a Nubian that would get a fungus similar to rain rot on his legs in spring. Getting them out of the wet will help too. Perhaps your goat was in heat? They sometimes will produce mucus during heat too.

Last edited:
You are right about the BluKote. It will take care of any number of fungal infections. I had a buck that covered all over with scaly thick yucky skin, and he was almost bald to boot. I sprayed him liberally with BluKote and he improved in very short order. He looked pretty funny for a while though. Every time I saw him I thought of the ditty by Ogden Nash. I've never seen a purple cow.....

Looks like pus. Pyometra is deadly if not treated very aggressively; the uterus swells to many times it's normal size and then ruptures into the abdomen, filling it with bacteria, and the animal dies. It's ugly. Contact a 4H in your county to find someone who can treat goats? Go on goat-specific websites for advice?

Back
Top Bottom