Worried about my hen, any advice?

Syringe feeding is pretty stressful and there's always the danger of the chicken aspirating. I've recently started feeding my flock fermented feed which they love. I would try tempting with irresistible food before syringe feeding..
Okay, I will thank you! I haven't started feeding yet, I will do this! Thank you!

So, its night here now. I am a bit worried about Starburst out in the cold. She was so skinny and muddy and wet. Should I go out after dinner and bring her in? I can put her with the flock tomorrow, but I couldn't tend to her today, because I had to go ride my horse and figure out her bit situation. Will she be fine overnight? I am a bit worried about her. Thanks of any advice! Avery

I have a 6-8 year old hen. She went lame not to long ago, I assumed she had a sprain. I separated her, gave her electrolytes, and stuff like that to help her. Her limp improved but never went away. She still gets around, perches, and runs with the other hens. Recently, It has been wet and rainy. Her feathers always seem wet and she hardly has any tail feathers. Some times she gets away with sleeping in a testing box because she would prefer that over the effort of jumping to the perch. She, situ doesn't' look good. her feathers are raged, and she doesn't look comfortable. When she isn't free ranging, she is just standing all puffed up, in what looks to me like the, "I don't feel good" stance. Our run is really muddy and bad right now because of the rain, but she is with 3 other very sweet older hens in our duck pen because our rooster is hard on them. I can get pictures of her tomorrow, but tell me what you think. I can also get pictures of her poop to look for anything off. Any ideas? I am worried abbot her quality of life. Any advice is helpful! She is old so sh may just be shutting down to. Tell em what you think. Avery
Ya, I will try to warm her up. Her face is pale to, but she has been doign this for awhile. I didn't think to much of it until I cleaned out the one today, and had a good look at her. I will give her a goo inspection tomorrow. Is is moldy really dirty, and her feathers are messy and wet. Thanks for the reply!
Can you add some straw to your run so they have a bit of protection from the snow and ice?

Her age is catching up to her I would assume. That coupled with cold weather and being wet she may benefit from you adding some extra straw for her to bed down into inside the coop at night too.

I would err on the side of caution and moved her somewhere a bit warmer for the night, especially if your temps are going to be low. I wouldn't give her much extra heat - maybe place her in a cool garage or basement? See if she will drink for you, then eat a bit.
Look her over for lice/mites.
I'm sorry. She seems to be struggling. With older hens there can be a number of things going on - may just be age or a combination of reproductive issues, etc.

Do offer supportive care. Keep lice/mites in check, consider de-worming (a fecal float is best if possible), monitor her crop to see that it's emptying. If she declines further and doesn't rally with supportive care, then kindly put her out of her misery.

Can you add some straw to your run so they have a bit of protection from the snow and ice?

Her age is catching up to her I would assume. That coupled with cold weather and being wet she may benefit from you adding some extra straw for her to bed down into inside the coop at night too.

I would err on the side of caution and moved her somewhere a bit warmer for the night, especially if your temps are going to be low. I wouldn't give her much extra heat - maybe place her in a cool garage or basement? See if she will drink for you, then eat a bit.
Look her over for lice/mites.
I'm sorry. She seems to be struggling. With older hens there can be a number of things going on - may just be age or a combination of reproductive issues, etc.

Do offer supportive care. Keep lice/mites in check, consider de-worming (a fecal float is best if possible), monitor her crop to see that it's emptying. If she declines further and doesn't rally with supportive care, then kindly put her out of her misery.
Thank you. I having gone to get her yet, but I will see if I can set up something for her for the night. I will give her a check up in the morning, wipe her off, maybe giver her a hair dry. I will see if I can get a wormer. Should I worry to much about who skinny she is? I can weigh her tomorrow, If she keeps declining I will do what I have to do. Thank you, I wills what I can do for her for the night by putting her in the garage. Thank you again. Avery

I would, but our run isn't covered, and I worry that if I put straw/hay down, it will just get wet or snowed on with the next weather factor. Would wet why be okay, should I worry about that less then the snow and ice its self? Thanks! Avery

I have portions of my run that are uncovered. Yes, the straw will get mucky and muddy and will need to be managed, but the straw does offer a bit of protection from the mud and snow.

I have portions of my run that are uncovered. Yes, the straw will get mucky and muddy and will need to be managed, but the straw does offer a bit of protection from the mud and snow.
Okay, I will see what I can do. I moved her inside, gave her warm water and electrolytes. I put some food in front of her, because she was picking at the hat. She dove into it. Maybe the other chickens were bullying her because she was week, and she couldn't' get to food? I also put some wet down cat food on top of her food for protein. She seems to enjoy that as well! I will jus move her cage out to the run during the day, and back in at night I think. I also made a little "bootie" and taped it to her bad foot. It was just a chunk of foam I had on hand, I am going to make the "bootie" better tomorrow. I though maybe it would giver her support on her bad foot. Thanks of all your help! I will see who she does as I nurture her forward. Thank you!

Okay, I will see what I can do. I moved her inside, gave her warm water and electrolytes. I put some food in front of her, because she was picking at the hat. She dove into it. Maybe the other chickens were bullying her because she was week, and she couldn't' get to food? I also put some wet down cat food on top of her food for protein. She seems to enjoy that as well! I will jus move her cage out to the run during the day, and back in at night I think. I also made a little "bootie" and taped it to her bad foot. It was just a chunk of foam I had on hand, I am going to make the "bootie" better tomorrow. I though maybe it would giver her support on her bad foot. Thanks of all your help! I will see who she does as I nurture her forward. Thank you!
Is she staying inside now? I'd keep her in and do what you've been doing. Plenty of nutritious feed and drink. How does her crop feel? Has she laid eggs? Check her vent is it dirty, is it a hole or a slit? She does look muddy. I may be tempted to give her a nice warm bath then blow dry her on the low setting.

So, its night here now. I am a bit worried about Starburst out in the cold. She was so skinny and muddy and wet. Should I go out after dinner and bring her in? I can put her with the flock tomorrow, but I couldn't tend to her today, because I had to go ride my horse and figure out her bit situation. Will she be fine overnight? I am a bit worried about her. Thanks of any advice! Avery
Two more things, is she pooing? And if you’ve can’t get a wormer soon I think a bit of molasses in water works as a laxative to clean out any woms

Back
Top Bottom