Worried about my hen, any advice?

Yes, I am definelty going to either bathe her, or wipe her down for sure. I can keep her inside, or bring her out which either one someone thinks is best. I heard it may be best to keep her with her friends to. She hasn't laid eggs in a while, I will check her crop and her vent. Thank you!
Got it. I will put mor food out and let her hang out with the lock. Should I bring her back into the shop at night, just so she doesn't get to cold?
She seems pretty happy this morning! Ate all the food I had availed of her last night, I filled it up and she went at it again! I am going to let her finish eating first, and then I will clean her up, and put her back with the flock. I am going to put multiple food stations out, and a water station with electrolytes for her if she drinks from there. Thanks for all your help! I will give her molasses before I release her to. Thanks guys!
Thank you, you are right. She has been like this with them for about a month tough now, so if she has it, they probably have it. I will keep an eye on her, thank you!
I would not bath her if she's going back outside. I realize she may get damp or a little wet due to weather, but that's not the same as a bath.
If she's not really well, a bath can also be stressful.
It's good that she's happier this morning and eating.
I do prefer for mine to be with their flock unless there is no alternative. If she has a dry place in the coop to sleep, provide her with extra straw/bedding and leave her with the flock.

I would not bath her if she's going back outside. I realize she may get damp or a little wet due to weather, but that's not the same as a bath.
If she's not really well, a bath can also be stressful.
It's good that she's happier this morning and eating.
I do prefer for mine to be with their flock unless there is no alternative. If she has a dry place in the coop to sleep, provide her with extra straw/bedding and leave her with the flock.
Perfect. I am going to just try to clean the dirt off of her, and I will flu up a warm spot in the coop for her. I wan there to be with the flock, so I will just let her eat, fluff up her spot, and put her back out. Thanks for the advice!

Okay, this update is pretty late, but here we go.
I have been checking on her all week, and started another thread for wormer suggestions. I found some extra liquid goat wormer that we had, and am giving her that, today will be her 4th dose. I got chopped straw for the run when we went to town the other day. I put too extra shelters in the duck coop, because the duck coop doesn't have actually walls, just a wire outdoor dog run. (Had I know anymore about ducks when we build it, I would have done an actual coop. They will get a really coop this summer.) I stuffed our plastic dog crate, shelter one, and an igloo for goats that I borrow from my friend, with chopped straw. She spends a lot of time in there, and seems to be keeping warm. I am bringing her in at night because of the temp drop here, it was 18 degrees last night, but a friend gets to come with her.

I have put chopped straw in the run to cover the snow and ice so that is nice for sure. I am giving her extra protein as well.
When I brought her in last night, I put food and warm water out for her. She dove into the food like she was starving! I was also certain she was getting enough to eat out there, I have never seen anyone pick on her, for an old lady she is higher then most of the elderly hens she lives with in the pecking order. She's defiantly eating, but, maybe not getting enough, out there? Could the feeder setup be an issue? I am going to provide more food sources anyway, so that she has plenty of places to get feed. Thanks for all the help!

Ps. She still sits in the puffed up stance when she is standing there. I read that it could be a symptom of worms, so i'll keep an eye out to see if it goes away. Hopefully it does.

Personally, I would not give aspirin. I would make sure she's eating/drinking well and that her crop is emptying overnight.
Got it. I wont worry about that then. I will check her crop in the morning and make sure its empty before she has eaten. I will feel it before she goes to bed to. Thanks for the help!

Okay, I checked her crop this morning, last night is was full, and the morning it was flat so seems to be emptying normally. I felt her abdomen between her legs and it was just bone. Hardly anything there, I am assuming that is because she is under weight. Today will be her 5th dose of wormer, so hopefully I will start to see large improvement soon. Thanks for all the help!

Hey guys, I know its been months since I updated this thread, but Starburst is still going!
I finally got a food scale, and just weighed her. She's 2lbs 3oz. 😟 All keel bone, with 0 muscle, meat, nothing.
She's stil her normal self. She actually started eating again after I switched to a new feed. The only different between this feed and the other is, its a crumble rather then pellets, and is All natural Non GMO.
We have meat birds right now, so I'm feeding her the 22% protein to hopefully beef her up. She's SO skinny though, I don't know if she'll get anywhere. I'm surprised at who good she's doing with her weight though.
Is there anything else I can do for her? I know she's old, skinny, and probably has health issues, should I just let her live out her life? Thanks guys!

I would feed her cooked oatmeal, yogurt whatever she loves. You can wet her feed down she may eat it easier.Bless her I know how hard cold can be to us old hens. You are doing a great job taking care of her. I am glad things are going good.

Back
Top Bottom