worried about new chickens

ericmcginn5

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
i got 2 new chickens about a week ago it has been rought my other chickens dont like them so every morning i let them all out so they can get away from each other if neadded. and one of my new hens dosnt seem as heavy as normal i could be wrong but dont know. do u think i should feed her alone part of the day? she cant be that hungry she is romming the yard right? if your wondering the new hens are french black orphintons

They will probably work out their problems eventually, but I would put out at least 3 feeders and waterers, so that everyone gets a chance to eat and drink. Worming them may do them some good as well. Valbazen and SafeGuard Goat wormer are very good wormers.

I use Valbazen, but SafeGuard is very good, and it is less expensive. SafeGuard should not be used during a molt, since it can cause feather problems, but if they aren't molting, I would use it.

what about wazine any good they have it at tractor supply.

How many chickens do you have? If you don't have that many, get a bottle of Safeguard for goats, but if you have a bunch, get Valbazen.

Valbazen will kill more worms with just one dose. Safeguard requires several days using more medicine. Bang for the buck, it's Valbazen for sure.

Most effective Valbazen dose is ~0.2ml per 2.2 pounds once by mouth and repeat in ten days. That dose will kill roundworms, cecal worms and capillary worms, but not gapeworms.

Most effective Safeguard dose is 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds by mouth for *five* days. That will kill roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms and capillary worms.

The less effective Safguard dose is 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds once by mouth and repeat in ten days. That will kill roundworms and cecal worms, but will *not* kill capillary or gapeworms.

Wazine will only kill roundworms.

-Kathy

I have 9 abult chickens and 6 born in july i just ordered the safe guard. Should i worm the young ones too.

I have 9 abult chickens and 6 born in july i just ordered the safe guard. Should i worm the young ones too.

I would worm all of them. Call around and see if you can find a vet to do a fecal float, that will give you an idea of what worms you're dealing with.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom