Worried about stress...

Picklesquidly

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2015
Flower Mound, Texas
Just came home today and found out my mom and a bunch of other people have been working on the yard, including chainsawing the heck out of trees, breaking branches, digging, talking, etc...

I'm extremely worried about stress because I had bought new 2 month old easter eggers literally just the morning before, and they've gone through a lot yesterday and today; this morning they were chased around and pecked by my Brahma, then mom was in the coop run digging up the ground (without asking me) and then she had the branches right above the coop sawed off because she felt that they were overgrown.

When I got home and went to the yard, the poor things were hiding in a corner of the run, trying to hide under eachother, and peeping really loudly. The yard was probably really noisy all day because of the work, and it was very hot today (though they had shade and water).

I am very upset that I let this happen while I was gone. Soon after I got home I got a cardboard box, put it in the run, and filled it with straw and put the pullets in it, and last I checked they were asleep in the box. For some stupid reason my mom put the cochin and Brahma in the area where the easter eggers were supposed to be, so I couldn't put them in there. I tried to tell her that she needed to stop working on the yard because she was scaring the pullets, but she won't listen.

I'm extremely scared that the new environment, the older chickens, the noise, and the handling has stressed out the EE's so much that they might get sick, or even die. Can that happen to them? Is there anything else I should do?

Last edited:
Also noticed that as they were sleeping, they have their necks sort of stretched out instead of tucked in... is that unusual or do chickens do that when they're sleeping on the floor?

Back
Top Bottom