Worried about the feed I give to my chicks :(

MarioBranwell

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2019
I am kind of a new breeder and have almost 3 week old chicks and I started feeding grains from 3 days ago but I was feeding chick starter feed before that. I never had any problems so far so good. Today when I read a post from a forum they said not to feed chickens raw beans/ grains. Im bit confused now. will that cause any problems to my chicks? I never added any grits on their feed but I usually let them free roam so they might eat little bit of sand for grit.

My feed includes (raw rice, smashed corn, lentils, green gram, different type of beans etc)

I have attached my chicken picture and the type of feed I give them now.
thumbnail_IMG_0136.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0130.jpg

Raw grains are not available as much as fermented or as digestible. I would stop the extra homemade feed and go for something more natural commercial or milled myself that is a starter grower or flockraiser feed of 20%. I would choose medicated as well to protect against coccidiosis. The chicks need chick grit 24/7 free choice along with food/water. They are not probably able to get enough grit free ranging and you should never assume they are. Leads to crop problems. Homemade treats not more than 10% of daily diet and scratch should not be fed till adulthood 28 weeks or greater. There is no nutritional benefit and subtracts from their overall nutrition. :)

Last edited:
Here is an some info on feeding chicks scratch.

View attachment 1661027

I would not use this or share it. Treats are never supposed to be more than 10 % of diet including scratch and it is never recommended prior to adulthood even by the manufacturer and most poultry experts. Feed high in protein and/carbs plus scratch over 10% combined with other treats can lead to fatty liver disease.

Back
Top Bottom