Worried about the feed I give to my chicks :(

I would not use this or share it. Treats are never supposed to be more than 10 % of diet including scratch and it is never recommended prior to adulthood even by the manufacturer and most poultry experts. Feed high in protein and/carbs plus scratch over 10% combined with other treats can lead to fatty liver disease.

Scratch is not a treat but is a type of feed. I’ve used these ratios for the last 10 years with an ever growing flock. I cull after 2 years with each flock for meat so it really doesn’t affect my birds.

Scratch is not a treat but is a type of feed. I’ve used these ratios for the last 10 years with an ever growing flock. I cull after 2 years with each flock for meat so it really doesn’t affect my birds.
20180713_072733.jpg
. Purina says no more than 10%. From my experience egg laying suffers big time going over that. GC

I never have a problem. Most farmers in my area also give a 50% ratio and the local livestock vet recommends the same.

Scratch is not a feed and the bag will reassure you of that. Maybe you don’t recognize the problems or because you cull at an early age you may not see them but for those who raise their flock for a lifetime know that longevity relies on good care practices based on sound research. We have had individuals on here that use scratch and broiler feeds against recommendations and see fatty liver disease and other problems early on even in first year. We are trying to help you and others follow the research that supports the growth and wellbeing of the bird no matter the life span for best practices. I feel my obligation to help provide as much information as possible to help others know the dangers of not following the best guidelines. Yes they are US guidelines and they work with better results. Best wishes!

Scratch is not a feed and the bag will reassure you of that. Maybe you don’t recognize the problems or because you cull at an early age you may not see them but for those who raise their flock for a lifetime know that longevity relies on good care practices based on sound research. We have had individuals on here that use scratch and broiler feeds against recommendations and see fatty liver disease and other problems early on even in first year. We are trying to help you and others follow the research that supports the growth and wellbeing of the bird no matter the life span for best practices. I feel my obligation to help provide as much information as possible to help others know the dangers of not following the best guidelines. Yes they are US guidelines and they work with better results. Best wishes!

I’m a poultry farmer and not raising these for pets. I gave the best advice a farmer can give. It’s true I cull early so I don’t see many diseases that long term poultry keepers see. If you want them sized up for butcher then follow my feed recommendations. If you want to raise them as pets feed less fatty foods. Send them to me for the butchering aspects lol!

I’m a poultry farmer and not raising these for pets. I gave the best advice a farmer can give. It’s true I cull early so I don’t see many diseases that long term poultry keepers see. If you want them sized up for butcher then follow my feed recommendations. If you want to raise them as pets feed less fatty foods. Send them to me for the butchering aspects lol!

I don’t butcher. My ladies are respected pets who provide me food in the way of laying hens. We just want you to know that you are using a product against manufacturer recommendations and no one recommends that. Those who raise meat birds will follow a broiler feed diet. Those are usually broilers. If a dual purpose bird for meat and or eggs ( layers) then they typically follow starter grower and layer complete feeds for the diet as most recommended by poultry experts. Scratch is never recommended above 10% as not a complete feed and only considered a treat. I would suggest trying to wean your birds off so much scratch and taking them back to complete feeds as recommended previously in this post. I would bet you would even have better results for your own purposes. :)

Back
Top Bottom