Pics
Sorry, I wasn't on at all Thursday. My girls seem to have decided that if it falls from the sky, its no good. LOL. Actually, I let them out yesterday afternoon, from the run. Left the door open when I went in to bring them feed, check their water and for eggs. They followed me in, and then when I left (with the gate open) they followed me out. By the time I'd dropped the feed bucket in the basement door, the brahmas were already calling it quits, and by the time I came back out from putting away the eggs, all but 3 were back under cover. The remaining 3 were in w/in 5 min. LOL They are all done with this white crap. lol
According to Channel 3, more to come Sunday into Monday and possibly Tuesday! The school where I teach is in Waterbury so we're likely to have delays at the slightest snow which gives me more time to clear out the run a little.

See, that's what I'm planning on wrapping my run with, just to create a wind block... but I want the kind that comes with the wire or string through it, for durability.
I'm not sure what the cost of the plastic is but I got a roll of weedblock fabric and a roll of burlap on Amazon for about $20 each. By sandwiching the two materials around the fence, I think I made a pretty good barrier that I will reuse in the garden in the spring.

I think the more rigid the material is, the more likely the wind is to find one weak spot and rip the whole thing apart. The holes in the burlap cut down the wind and the weedblock stops the rest - in theory. I had my husband stand on one side of the fence while I hit the other side with the leaf blower. He said he didn't feel much and saw only a little ripple in the burlap on his side.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond and offer reassurance, suggestions, links, and photos. I feel much better about the measures I have already taken to winterize and have more specific guidance on how to improve some things.

I'll be insulating my water bucket today and switching to horizontal nipple waterers and I have plans to tarp over the top section over the coop for more snow cover.
Here's what I've already done in the meantime with supplies I already have ...

I added a second water bucket at the end of the run under the bench. I filled it with bricks in the middle and although it freezes, the bricks prevent heads from dunking into the bucket while acting like a conductor when I pour warm water in it in the morning.
20171214_093509.jpg

I added a fresh layer of straw under the A-frame to give them a place to warm their feet after walking in the snow.
20171214_093547.jpg

I used the leaf blower (I can't believe I didn't already think of this) to clear a path for the chickens to walk and to clear off spots for them to hop up out of the snow. This was so much easier than sweeping!!
20171214_093515.jpg

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement! I was nervous about posting my first question on BYC and you have all made me really happy I did!

Back
Top Bottom