Worried

Make sure you don't over heat them.
Fresh clean room temp, not cold, water is good.
Don't, under any circumstances, force anything in to a chick's mouth. One drop down the wrong pipe will kill it. If you must offer something extra like Nutri-Drench just put it into their waterer where they can drink it on their own.
No treats. Chick crumble only.

i get those little packets, nutridrench i think? i also have a huge jar of rooster booster electrolyte and vitamin powder which I've used with success
Nutri-Drench is a liquid. I don't think it comes in packets.

A teaspoon or two of sugar mixed well in their water when they first arrive can be helpful to perk them up. But sugar water should be changed to fresh fairly soon, so you are not encouraging the growth of microbes.
It's a good idea to have a second source of just plain water if you are doctoring the water, especially with electrolytes (birds don't sweat, so it can be hard to get rid of excess sodium).
Usually what I do is offer fresh water with a little sugar, in just the bottom piece of the waterer so I can keep the level shallow.
Then when everyone has had some fresh water, I change it out with probiotics and maybe some electrolytes. Not if they're all eating well, because feed is already balanced in the mineral/salt department, so adding more is just making their organs work harder purging the excess.

My reassurance is not quite the same as others. While usually everything is fine, sometimes some don't make it.
Shipping can be very stressful, through some hubs more than others, in some weather, and especially for some breeds. We once had a mixed lot from Cackle that included some Faverolles. They warned those babies didn't take shipping well, and sure enough we lost a couple Favs in the first 48 hours. But the rest were fine.

What matters is that you are well-informed and ready to give them the best chance, that's all you can ask of yourself.

A teaspoon or two of sugar mixed well in their water when they first arrive can be helpful to perk them up. But sugar water should be changed to fresh fairly soon, so you are not encouraging the growth of microbes.
It's a good idea to have a second source of just plain water if you are doctoring the water, especially with electrolytes (birds don't sweat, so it can be hard to get rid of excess sodium).
Usually what I do is offer fresh water with a little sugar, in just the bottom piece of the waterer so I can keep the level shallow.
Then when everyone has had some fresh water, I change it out with probiotics and maybe some electrolytes. Not if they're all eating well, because feed is already balanced in the mineral/salt department, so adding more is just making their organs work harder purging the excess.

My reassurance is not quite the same as others. While usually everything is fine, sometimes some don't make it.
Shipping can be very stressful, through some hubs more than others, in some weather, and especially for some breeds. We once had a mixed lot from Cackle that included some Faverolles. They warned those babies didn't take shipping well, and sure enough we lost a couple Favs in the first 48 hours. But the rest were fine.

What matters is that you are well-informed and ready to give them the best chance, that's all you can ask of yourself.
Thanks for your honest assessment. No Faverolles in this batch. I do have 2 waterers, so I can leave one plain. I appreciate your input.

Back
Top Bottom