Worried

MagicL

Chirping
Feb 14, 2023
North Central Arkansas
Geez, after reading so many posts here about newly acquired chicks being ill and/or dying, I am scared as a new chick raiser! I have 12 chicks coming from mypetchicken.com and I am already fearing the worst 🙄. I have an inside brooder set up, have chick starter feed (Organic Scratch & Peck brand), have grit, bought Nutri-Drench, have done a ton of reading, but feel totally unprepared! I don’t want any of them to die….

Geez, after reading so many posts here about newly acquired chicks being ill and/or dying, I am scared as a new chick raiser! I have 12 chicks coming from mypetchicken.com and I am already fearing the worst 🙄. I have an inside brooder set up, have chick starter feed (Organic Scratch & Peck brand), have grit, bought Nutri-Drench, have done a ton of reading, but feel totally unprepared! I don’t want any of them to die….
I find the most important thing when they first arrive is warmth and electrolytes. Mine had a fairly bad shipment and I managed to revive a few that looked all but dead (stiffened, not moving, on their sides and stretched out). I had them sandwiched between a pet heating pad (gentle direct warmth) and fed them electrolytes until they perked up again. When they were alert enough, I began feeding them mash.

I’ve been mostly brooding quails most of last year, so I haven't had chicks for a while. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to “force feed” them. Just open the beak and pop some mash in the back, they will swallow it themselves.

Thanks to this I’ve managed to keep a few alive that weren’t eating much/anything on their own. Unfortunately the extremely weak ones passed during the first and second nights, sometimes the shipping damage is too much :(

So about 3-4 days in and I was confident the remaining ones were all going to make it. They’re now all happy and healthy 2.5 week olds.

That said, unlike the cheaper hatcheries my pet chicken is verrrrry good with shipping and more likely than not, you’ll have an excellent experience with them!

Here's something to ease your mind. In my years of having chickens I have never had a brooder death. Several orders 24 peeps at a time, one death during shipping. You'll always hear of the bad experiences. Now that we get small orders we drive to the hatchery to pick them up. Take yakitori's advise.

The most important thing is heat: watch them to make sure they are comfortable. They need to have a place to get away from the heat but also need to be pretty warm. Secondly they need to be eating and drinking. Dip their beaks in the water straight away and they should figure it out. If you have that sorted you are on your way to thriving chicks! I have brooded lots of chicks and lost a few the first few times but I had no idea what I was doing. You sound well prepared I think you will do just fine!

I find the most important thing when they first arrive is warmth and electrolytes. Mine had a fairly bad shipment and I managed to revive a few that looked all but dead (stiffened, not moving, on their sides and stretched out). I had them sandwiched between a pet heating pad (gentle direct warmth) and fed them electrolytes until they perked up again. When they were alert enough, I began feeding them mash.

I’ve been mostly brooding quails most of last year, so I haven't had chicks for a while. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to “force feed” them. Just open the beak and pop some mash in the back, they will swallow it themselves.

Thanks to this I’ve managed to keep a few alive that weren’t eating much/anything on their own. Unfortunately the extremely weak ones passed during the first and second nights, sometimes the shipping damage is too much :(

So about 3-4 days in and I was confident the remaining ones were all going to make it. They’re now all happy and healthy 2.5 week olds.

That said, unlike the cheaper hatcheries my pet chicken is verrrrry good with shipping and more likely than not, you’ll have an excellent experience with them!
Thanks so much for this. Are electrolytes and Drench the same thing?

The most important thing is heat: watch them to make sure they are comfortable. They need to have a place to get away from the heat but also need to be pretty warm. Secondly they need to be eating and drinking. Dip their beaks in the water straight away and they should figure it out. If you have that sorted you are on your way to thriving chicks! I have brooded lots of chicks and lost a few the first few times but I had no idea what I was doing. You sound well prepared I think you will do just fine!
Thanks!

I worried too, and got extra chicks because I assumed I would lose some.

There were no problems other than they started jumping out of their space before I was ready.

I monitored them mostly two ways: listening for distress cheep (there were none at all), and watching how they acted.
Will be watching like a hawk!

Back
Top Bottom