Worried!

Oddyse

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Bristol
Hey guys, first off a massive HELLO
lol.png
to everyone. I have been reading the posts on the site for a while now but I finally thought it was time to get involved. MY STORY: 3 weeks ago I got myself some 9 day old ducklings, two of the most beautiful little girl ducks you have ever seen in your whole life! They became my world from day one! Up until now, using the advice from this forum, I have managed to keep them going strong and healthy. But last night I noticed something that has made me a l little worried. (Just to keep in mind I worry about my ducks all the time, Im just one of those people and I love them both to bits!) One of them (Both 30days old now) has developed a shaky leg and bum (not the usual bum shake I have grown to love!) and im really worried. I spent last night looking over the internet to see what this could be and only found (shes going to die) comments, which as you can tell, was not greatfully recieved! Hopefully one of you guys could shed some light on this. Shes the quietest of the pair, always has been, but she runs around and eats and drinks fine! Although they both are becoming teenagers and are more interested in other things than me unless I have food!
tongue.png
. The little ones poo's are a little runny too, but this could be due to the tomatoes they eat( Yes, sometimes I do endulge them with tomatoes a little too much). So anyways, another massive hello, sorry about the HUGE ESSAY, and hopefully one of you guys could help me out and put my mind at rest. Many thanks everyone!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

First I'm going to ask a moderator to move your thread to the ducks section okay? (Don't worry, you'll be able to find it!
wink.png
)

Then I'm going to go hunt up a few of my duckie friends and point them in your direction.
smile.png

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif

Can I ask what you are feeding your sweet duckies? I think I recall reading somewhere that waterfowl require niacin? And if they don't get it it causes problems with their legs. I have geese, and I feed them gamebird feed. They eat tons of worms and bugs. So maybe instead of giving them tomatoes, you could dig them up some creepy crawlies to snack on. I'm sure someone with more duck experience will chime in soon, but I really hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply Nikki,

I'm feeding them chick crumb at the moment, they were eating loads and loads of it but they dont seem to be eating as much anymore. Next week (when my duck house "DUCKTOPIA" is finished) Il be letting them run around outside during the day. So hopefully they will get to feast on some bugs and stuff. Thank you again for your reply Nikki

If you have access to Gamebird Starter, you should start them on that.
I don't feed ducklings chick feed due to the Amprolium in it.
I would feed them strictly their feed, maybe sprinkle some Brewers Yeast on it and a few peas and lettuce. That would be all I would give them at that age.
This duckling isn't crested is it?

No they are not crested. Do you know of any sites (UK) I could get some gamebird starter from? That would be a great help! Many thanks

First line of defense when ducks develop shaky legs is to add niacin. In my experience, niacin deficiency is the most common cause of shaky legs and GOOD NEWS: It's easy and effective if you treat it early.

Several options:

* Go down to the corner drug store and purchase niacin gel caps (for humans). Try to get flush-free and NON-time-release, but if that's all they have, it will do. Break open a 150-mg tablet and dump it in a gallon of water. Put that in the waterer, and continue offering only the enhanced niacin water until the ducks reach maturity. Be careful with dosage--it's possible to overdose.

* Go down to the feed store and purchase game bird starter. Mix it 50/50 with the chick crumbles and offer that as their feed. Chick crumbles don't contain the right amounts of niacin, but game bird starter does. But game bird starter is too high in protein. Mix the two and you have a very effective waterfowl starter mix. This is what I use.

* Go down to the health food store and purchase nutritional or brewer's yeast (NOT baker's yeast). Sprinkle this on top of their food. Dosage doesn't matter much--maybe a tablespoon per duckling per feeding. You really can't overdose on the stuff, and it provides lots of other nutrients too.

I would also stop supplementing with treats until the situation is under control. Treats are fine in moderation, but they can reduce the number of nutrients the ducks are getting from their regular feed and lead to nutritional problems when offered in excess. Any time you have a duckling having problems, then taking the people food out of the diet is always a good idea. Greens (lettuce, clover, grass, etc.) are fine to continue as long as they are free-choice and not force-fed (obviously). Make sure if the ducklings have food other than the crumble that they also have access to grit (sand or chick grit will work fine) to aid in digestion.

If you increase the niacin intake, you should begin to see improvement within one to two days. If you're still having trouble, then you'll need to seek other solutions.

Of course, it never hurts to check your husbandry--clean out the brooder completely, make sure there's no mold or other bad stuff going on. Make sure they are warm enough (if they move around and "talk" normally then they're fine), not too damp, etc.

Good luck. The symptoms don't sound bad at all to me and I have high hopes for your little one.
smile.png

P.S. Do only ONE of the items on the * list. All three would be overkill and could provide too much niacin, which is also a bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Curiositycat, you have been a great help. I will get to work on this first thing tomorrow morning (as all the shops are shut today). I hope that this does work as I hate seeing my babies not doing well. I have cut out all treats and will monitor them when I have the niacin in their water. I will definitely keep you posted on the outcome! Il just give her loads of cuddles tonight to try and make her feel better. And she has her big sister (Il call her big because she is "the stronger" one) to look after her too. And of course you guys. So she has loads of love and care. Thank you again guys, you have been great!

Hi Oddyse and WELCOME TO BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Agree with Iamcuriositycat and the ducklings may have a Niacin deficiency. Follow the advice as given.

Im usually on the Geese section but as Im in the UK I'll give you the link to our supplier. You'll need Waterfowl Rearer Pellets at this stage which have Niacin included in the pellet.

http://www.charnwood-milling.co.uk/water bird.htm

Hope that helps and best of luck
fl.gif

Pete
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom