Worrying...

ChickMagnet09

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 7, 2009
Minnesota
Okay I know I have posted this before about my chickens not laying any eggs yet, but they still haven't started, well except one who layed two flat eggs because they were thin, I keep having people tell me I probably did something wrong and that they may not lay at all
sad.png
. I have 8 chickens total and they are almost 23 weeks old. Should I worry that they may not lay at all is there a way to tell if they are going to lay?
What is everyones experiences with raising chickens from chicks to when they begin to lay? I have also heard that if one feeds them too much that they may not lay. I feed mine morning and night but I don't measure I just pour some into their trough like feeding thing and it doesn't seem like too much to me.

hugs.gif
I know it is frustrating when they tease us with eggs. I am not sure, just a thought, that now that we are moving into days with less light this could also effect them.

Usually when they are ready to lay their combs and wattles become bright red.

I don't think you can over feed chickens if you are giving them their nutritious feed. I think the other relates to too many treats can make them over weight and have problems, but that relates more to fatty liver disease.

When you do your feeding at night, is their still feed in the trough? Or have they finished the mornings food off too quickly and they possibly are not getting enough feed during the rest of the day? If they are swarming you when you do the night feed, that is a good indication that they need more food, they are hungry.

Just a couple of things to think about.

Also what breeds are they? That does make a difference as well.

I have an EE and 2 RIR hens. The EE started at 25 weeks, one RIR started at 28 weeks and the other at 30 weeks. It seemed to me like it would never happen, but I guess they all have their own schedule.

I have 2 buff orpingtons, 2 gold star, 2 silver lace wyandottes, and 2 bantams. They are swarming me when I feed them at night and in the morning and they always eat everything up. I always kinda thought I was feeding them too much ( my in-laws feed their chickens less than I feed mine and only once a day) All of my chickens have bright wattles and combs so I thought that they should start laying soon and I give them oyster shells.

I have feed available all the time. They free range the yard during the day and they always have access to their feed and water. I change their water two or three times a day.

Chickens are eating machines. That is all the do. Well....there is the other end too.
hmm.png

honestly, even if they weren't going to ever lay, i doubt it was anything you did to screw up... i've seen a lot of posts where peoples girls didn't start laying until 8 months old...
i read that it's normally around 6 months, so i wasn't expecting eggs till november.. i think my leghorn has been laying for 3 weeks now.. i have 2 eggs from 1 ee and 1 from another... i think.. lol.. 2 different colors of tan/peach....
don't give up hope... there's lots of contributing factors...

I have two of your breeds..the buffs and silver laced..both started laying around 25 weeks..one buff was early at like 20 but mine are also..lay a couple days take a day off. Some of my other breeds layed early and long and I still have an EE that hasnt even started laying yet and they are hitting 30 weeks now. I wouldnt worry. I have a feeder that always has feed and then fill a small long feeder outside with my water. The outside feeder is empty by 10 am but it keeps them out of the hen house so I can clean it in the morning.

I think it's a little on the late-ish side for the sex-links, but not on the
ep.gif
side. The rest of them are getting close. My one Wyandotte still hasn't laid at 31 weeks but she's looking like she's getting ready.
You're doing fine.
Patience!!!!

Back
Top Bottom