Worst day

Wolfefarmyard

Crowing
Aug 18, 2017
Gansevoort, NY
Today has been the worst day in a long time.

I’ve really gotten into breeding and showing and now have pens set up for all my birds that I’ve worked so hard on. These are also some of the friendliest ones I’ve ever had and raised, I love going out with them to cuddle!

For the past year I’ve kept them strictly penned, besides my layers. Today it was such a nice day, I decided to let them out for a few hours.

With in an hour almost every single one was dead.

Our dog had been let out without his invisible fence collar on, and he decided to go chicken hunting.

I’m so upset, I almost got sick after seeing all of my beloved pets that I had worked so hard on and loved massacred.

I blame myself, today was the one day I let them out while I hadn’t in a year. I should have stayed out there with them but I didn’t.

It just really sucks. I’ve invested thousands on these birds not to mention the time and work, but mostly the bonds I had with many of them.

I’ve really gotten into breeding and showing and now have pens set up for all my birds that I’ve worked so hard on. These are also some of the friendliest ones I’ve ever had and raised, I love going out with them to cuddle!

For the past year I’ve kept them strictly penned, besides my layers. Today it was such a nice day, I decided to let them out for a few hours.

Our dog had been let out without his invisible fence collar on, and he decided to go chicken hunting.

I’m so upset, I almost got sick after seeing all of my beloved pets that I had worked so hard on and loved massacred.

I blame myself, today was the one day I let them out while I hadn’t in a year. I should have stayed out there with them but I didn’t.

It just really sucks. I’ve invested thousands on these birds not to mention the time and work, but mostly the bonds I had with many of them.
Oh my word!! I’m sooo very sorry! I know sorry will not undo what has happened! I can’t imagine how you feel. I’m sorry again about what has happened

I'm sorry for your loss . :hit sending you a hug :hugs

Ohhh, so painful. Goes without saying we are with you.
As you regroup, take the dog into consideration. They can be trained to be around birds while chaperoned, but under most cases should never be left alone with them unless their job is, and they have been trained, to protect the birds from other predators.

Good luck.

Ohhh, so painful. Goes without saying we are with you.
As you regroup, take the dog into consideration. They can be trained to be around birds while chaperoned, but under most cases should never be left alone with them unless their job is, and they have been trained, to protect the birds from other predators.

Good luck.

This is something we’ve been aware of for a while. He’s okay with them but you have to right there next to him the entire time. But left alone is not good. He’s a terrier mix, so he has a very strong prey drive.

This is one of the many reasons why we keep them mostly penned and we have an invisible fence.

I am so sorry for your loss! I can imagine how deflated you must feel. All the love, care, effort, and bonding with them gone so suddenly. Some people would say, "they were just chickens", but we know how attached we get to them. Forgive yourself. You are only human. Humans are not perfect. But, you are still awesome! There are more chickens out there waiting to receive the love & care that only you can give!

Back
Top Bottom