worst first egg experience EVER!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newmarch2014, Aug 12, 2014.

1. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    So I have known my smallest Buff Orpington hen was close to being the first one to lay an egg for the last week or so. She was all red face, squatting, checking out the nesting box. I was so anticipating my first ever egg, I came home to a poor miserable hen with a prolapsed vent and the egg hanging outside of her still inside her insides. I went into emergency mode and had my daughter read every suggestion and I pushed it all back in, I put her in an epsom bath, I rubbed her with prep H, olive oil, honey, pushed it all in a couple more times. Long story short I went to my friend that is a long time chicken owner who exclaimed in dismay when she saw it and she and her very sweet husband told me that they would humanely put her down. I am so sad and feel like a complete failure as a backyard chicken keeper.

2. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    So sorry to hear that! That's awful. I was with my chickens today thinking I never imagined in a million years that I would be raising chickens in my backyard but I have grown to love them. Don't be too hard on yourself, I'm new to chickens but I'm not sure you could have done anything differently. So sorry!

3. amandawv

amandawv Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    Awe my heart aches for you. I'm so sorry. ((((((Hugs))))))

4. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Thanks very much. I wish I knew if I could have done more to prevent it or help her. I was just desperate to not have her suffer and she was miserable. I am terrified to have the others start laying now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by